Sources of free paper for fire starting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I forgo any kind of fire starter like paper and just use a click start propane torque and some nice dry thin splits to get going.

other wise I can usually find a fist full of twigs in the yard pretty easily that will accomplish the same thing

Reactions: bigealta
Are the glues used in cardboard safe for burning?

I've never had a problem with it.

Creates a hotter flame to help kick in the kindling.

During the winter, I save my cardboard pasta boxes, etc, and stuff them with too small kindling, cardboard ripped up (p towel rolls, smaller food boxes, a piece or 2 of news paper <like the Penny saver types>, you get the drift). Works great.

I typically start my fire every morning during cold weather. Because of this I need a constant supply of paper for fire starting. As things have become more and more digital I have lost most of my free sources of paper. Nobody I know actually reads the newspaper anymore. Does anyone have suggestions of free sources of paper? And don't say use Super Cedars, I am cheap and don't mind splitting kindling.
I'm kind of a John Gullard wannabe. He warned against burning anything that might affect the reburning tubes on non-catalytic wood stoves like firestarters, colored newsprint. etc. IDK how necessary that really is but i've followed that advice for many years. Now that my library no longer has "hard copy" newspapers, i hit up elderly non-digital neighbors for their old newspapers and so far that's met my needs. I like firestarters for the grill n other fires but will continue to avoid using them in my EPA wood burners.

He warned against burning anything that might affect the reburning tubes on non-catalytic wood stoves like firestarters, colored newsprint. etc. IDK how necessary that really is
Totally false...those tubes are a piece of high grade stainless steel pipe, colored newsprint etc will do nothing to them...nothing. A cat stove could be affected by that though...

Reactions: fire_man
Your local school will have tons of excess paper they recycle. Just call the office and I'm sure they can give you a bellies full.