Sourcing 1/2" flat rope gasket for ash pan or cover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Breckwells, Pelpros, Hudson River, Magnum and other stoves all have ash pans that need a good seal so the infamous #2 status light does not flash.

My supplier has run out of the standard whit 1/2" wide rope gasket that I use with RTV for ash pan gaskets. It worked well and was thick enough to seal well. See left over scrap on left in pic below. So I got some graphite impregnated flat self stick but I find it is so thin, I have to double up many times. See middle gasket in pic below. I just got some Enviro graphite impregnated flat self stick rope gasket. It looks like it will do the job well but it is $4 per foot retail.

Anyone know of a good place to get some?

click on pic below to enlarge

Attachments

• FlatGasket0.5inch.JPG
    FlatGasket0.5inch.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 265
I bought a kit at Menards that came with 6 feet of gasket and some adhesive. I think it was $10 or so.

It does not say that it is flat?

I do not want 1/2" round

You said "Rope" and "Flat" in your thread title. Rope is Round, Flat is also considered "Tape".

Most hardware stores and Hearth shops have 1/2" and 5/8" flat/tape gasket material.

You said "Rope" and "Flat" in your thread title. Rope is Round, Flat is also considered "Tape".

Most hardware stores and Hearth shops have 1/2" and 5/8" flat/tape gasket material.

Yes thanks Dexter, Some of the Tape gasket like the one in the middle of my pic is just too thin. I am looking for 1/2" wide and about 1/8" thick. I know I am kinda fussy but that white stuff I had just worked great!

Hello

Well, so far I really like the Enviro Flat ash pan gasket, it is meatier than the other thin flat gasket.
Noone sells Meeco around here so I will try and get that when I have a chance.

Attachments

• IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 226
Status
Not open for further replies.