South Shore wood sources?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cattynat

Oct 3, 2006
South Shore, MA
Would people familiar with South Shore MA mind PMing or posting here good sources for seasoned wood?

Assuming I get my various chimney/fireplace issues cleared up, I'm looking for a good, reasonably priced source of dry split wood for the fireplace. We might be able to split it ourselves for next year, so those sources would be great to know about, too.

EG., The Green Connection wants $225/cord for "seasoned" wood but we used theirs last year and found it not seasoned enough, really. The pieces left over from last year are good for this year, though, IMO.

Should I be looking for kiln-dried exclusively if I want to burn it this season? If so, anyone know a source that doesn't charge anarmandaleg?

I'll keep poking around the threads but hoped it wouldn't bother you if I asked directly.

I know a lot of wood suppliers local and in the internet and most think “seasoned” wood is 3 months before delivery and some just take logs that have been cut down for 3-6 months and cut it up before delivery.

“Seasoned” wood is 9 months for average woods & some lower hard woods and 18 months - 2 years for all other hard woods.

Your best bet is to buy your wood and season it your self and not count on the wood supplier for it to be properly seasoned. You might even get better deals buying "green" “unseasoned” wood and letting it sit for 9 months ands then you'll know its seasoned.

I'd check www.craigslist.com as there are several South Shore dealers on there. I live on the North Shore and just paid $225/cd. for well-seasoned wood, but my source is from Tewksbury so he's out of your way. I bought 4 cords and GOT 4 cords. It was 1-1.5 years old and mostly oak, ash and maple. Burns great as is, and was VERY clean. The local nursery wanted $300/cd. and they were going up to $349 as of Oct. 1st. Just another chance to gouge the consumer. I wonder how prices will fluctuate now that gas/oil prices are coming down???

Thanks for both replies.
I can't belive I forgot about craigslist, great reminder, thanks! I'll check the SS listings (and prices). Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens with them over the next few weeks.
And thank you, too, Spike, for a primer on seasoning timelines. As a newbie, i had no idea it could take that long for some of the woods, but that explains why the pieces we got from a neighbor a few years ago were so good -- they'd sat around for 3 or 4 years before we burned them.

cattynat said:
Thanks for both replies.
I can't belive I forgot about craigslist, great reminder, thanks! I'll check the SS listings (and prices). Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens with them over the next few weeks.
And thank you, too, Spike, for a primer on seasoning timelines. As a newbie, i had no idea it could take that long for some of the woods, but that explains why the pieces we got from a neighbor a few years ago were so good -- they'd sat around for 3 or 4 years before we burned them.
;-)

recppd said:
I'd check www.craigslist.com as there are several South Shore dealers on there. I live on the North Shore and just paid $225/cd. for well-seasoned wood, but my source is from Tewksbury so he's out of your way. I bought 4 cords and GOT 4 cords. It was 1-1.5 years old and mostly oak, ash and maple. Burns great as is, and was VERY clean. The local nursery wanted $300/cd. and they were going up to $349 as of Oct. 1st. Just another chance to gouge the consumer. I wonder how prices will fluctuate now that gas/oil prices are coming down???

Hey Rec, would you mind sharing the number of your wood supplier? I'm right in Billerica, and could use another cord thats ready to burn.

Hey Rec, would you mind sharing the number of your wood supplier? I'm right in Billerica, and could use another cord thats ready to burn.

You won't get that price if you buy just one cord. He's normally $275 for the first cord, $250 for the second, and then down from there. His name is Ken and his number is 781-413-4501.

I found a guy in Wakefield (or it may have been Stoneham) who offered 4 cords to me for $200/cd., but his wood was only 5-6 months old.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.