Space around T-snout question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dad

Nov 29, 2019
PA
I'm relining an existing chimney with ss. The existing chimney is covered with 4-6" stone, then cinderblock, then the clay tile. The thimble is 8" diameter and 22" deep. I've attached a T-snout and all is well except I'm concerned that that length unsupported is not good. (photos 1 & 2) I wrapped a 1" x 9' fireproof rope around the outside but that seems very very flexible and isn't doing much (photo3). Should I be concerned about the 1" gap all the way around? If yes, what should I put in there?

Attachments

• IMG_20201110_085010505.jpg
    IMG_20201110_085010505.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20201110_085051362.jpg
    IMG_20201110_085051362.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20201110_092112629.jpg
    IMG_20201110_092112629.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 98
I'm relining an existing chimney with ss. The existing chimney is covered with 4-6" stone, then cinderblock, then the clay tile. The thimble is 8" diameter and 22" deep. I've attached a T-snout and all is well except I'm concerned that that length unsupported is not good. (photos 1 & 2) I wrapped a 1" x 9' fireproof rope around the outside but that seems very very flexible and isn't doing much (photo3). Should I be concerned about the 1" gap all the way around? If yes, what should I put in there?
I typically pack with insulation about an inch back then fill with chamber tech over that. Insulation behind a trim collar attached to the wall can work as well

I typically pack with insulation about an inch back then fill with chamber tech over that. Insulation behind a trim collar attached to the wall can work as well
To make sure I understand, you're saying to pack rock wool insulation from the back of the thimble to about an inch where it comes out of the wall. Then fill that last inch with something like a Chamber Tech, or fasten the trim collar to the wall (with I'm guessing a high temperature RTV silicone sealant). Is that correct?

BTW Thanks for your help!

To make sure I understand, you're saying to pack rock wool insulation from the back of the thimble to about an inch where it comes out of the wall. Then fill that last inch with something like a Chamber Tech, or fasten the trim collar to the wall (with I'm guessing a high temperature RTV silicone sealant). Is that correct?

BTW Thanks for your help!
I don't pack the whole thing full no but you could

Is there an alternative to chamber tech or a place to buy a smaller volume? I just need to fill over the ceramic fiber insulation (2400F direct flame rated) with it. I don't want to buy 5 gallons just to use 2-3 cups worth.

Is there an alternative to chamber tech or a place to buy a smaller volume? I just need to fill over the ceramic fiber insulation (2400F direct flame rated) with it. I don't want to buy 5 gallons just to use 2-3 cups worth.
You can try regular mortar or furnace cement but it will probably crack

I have a trim collar, would putting high temp rtv on the back of that to adhere it to the wall be sufficient?
That would probably be ok. Just keep the rtv as far from the actual pipe as you can

^^is that a suitable substitute for chamber tech?
That will most likely crack as well with the expansion of the stainless