Spark Arrester?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cephas

Mar 17, 2022
Montana
Have a 1 month old Kuma Aspen with the ash dump. Well made stove, easily regulated. Was told by a friend that he thinks all recent wood burning stoves have a spark arrester. He said his does and it gets clogged up from the pine he is burning. I asked him if he meant the catalitic converter type thing in my Kuma and he said no, his stove did not have one. I'm new to wood stoves and don't know. Do they?
Also, after burning fir for less than a month the stove does not seem to be drawing as well as it used to, even when hot. I have been keeping the ash dump below two or three inches and the stove cleaned out. Thanks, Steve

Have a 1 month old Kuma Aspen with the ash dump. Well made stove, easily regulated. Was told by a friend that he thinks all recent wood burning stoves have a spark arrester. He said his does and it gets clogged up from the pine he is burning. I asked him if he meant the catalitic converter type thing in my Kuma and he said no, his stove did not have one. I'm new to wood stoves and don't know. Do they?
Also, after burning fir for less than a month the stove does not seem to be drawing as well as it used to, even when hot. I have been keeping the ash dump below two or three inches and the stove cleaned out. Thanks, Steve
Stoves do not have spark arrestors. Some chimney caps do. And yes spark arrestor screen can clog pretty often it is much finer than regular animal screen (which can also clog). But it has nothing to do with wood species

Also, after burning fir for less than a month the stove does not seem to be drawing as well as it used to, even when hot.
With the stove cold you can easily remove the flame shield from the front of your Catalyst. Take a look at the Catalyst to be sure the cells have not plugged with fly ash. You can hold your phone in front of the Cat and take a few pics to review also. If it's plugged run a vacuum gently, close to the Cat face. Removing the pipe and vacuuming the Cat from the rear appears be a possibility as well in that model. Don't remove the Cat unless you have replacement gasket material. Worth a look.