I've been experimenting on E/W or NS on first layer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 25, 2023
Cady, WI
Couple months in with my Kuma Aspen LE and while I enjoy it I found my cold starting burns tended to be a bit short for my liking. I feel this stove is a pretty easy breather so when things started off with air control at full open flames seemed to be shot down the log right up the flue on a top down totally N/S start.

To remedy this I made my first layer E/W being careful not to block the air intakes and then having a layer on top going north south with kindling on top of that east west . I have been happy with the results it seems like those top layers which I am trying to get going quickly get lots of air to get the stove and cat system up to temperature quickly (able to engage my cat in about 10 minutes usually) but the bottom layer does not get as rapidly consumed in the process allowing me to have a little longer first burn of the day.

I'm curious what others do with these smaller easy breathing stoves.

20240125_081418.jpg

The splits look fairly thin. To slow down the burn, try burning thicker piece of wood.

Yes I have mostly medium(first level) splits and small. This is out first year burning so I found ash and split it small to try and help it dry faster.

The thin splits are ok as shown for starting the stove, but no so much for reloads. When the fuel size is small, there is a lot more surface area exposed and it combusts quickly.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
The thin splits are ok as shown for starting the stove, but no so much for reloads. When the fuel size is small, there is a lot more surface area exposed and it combusts quickly.
Yep I've noticed that as well. Reloads on good coals get my bigger splits but I still burn hot as my MC on some splits of the ash creep up towards 23%. Never perfect the first year I am ahead now and will be doing solar kilns this summer.

Reactions: begreen