Spaulting/rotting hardwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Here is a question, that is somewhat obvious. I split up a bunch of beech and soft maples that were 1/4 to 1/2 rotting/spaulted etc. They definatly were not spongy etc but just dry and not as dense. Anyone burn this kind of wood before and see a significant difference in burn time etc?

ok, cause I cleaned up a bunch of these trees and figured that I would burn them indoors rather than outside. probable have 1/2 cord of it

I split some white birch recently that was standing dead. It had the most beautiful spalted wood that you could imagine, but it felt reasonably dense still. I don't expect much loss in heating value. Other red oak that sat too long in an uncovered pile felt a little more dense than pine, and it burned just a bit better than pine.

well thats good. I am planning on using that wood first, in early fall before the snow flies just in case

I agree. Burn it before the big heating season starts. As long as it is not spongy it should burn okay, but a short burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.