Special ask, family lost everything

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A bit of help is incoming from Maine in the form of best thoughts for recovery and a GFM donation to our “distant neighbors”.

@begreen I am so sorry to hear about your family and the passing of your brother.
Please check the state laws in NC about insurance adjusters, and please do not let your SIL cash any checks from the company until all avenues are researched.
I know in NJ you can hire what is called a public adjuster, this is a 3rd party private adjuster that works for you and not the major insurance company, the insurance company will take products, give them a value and then depreciate the value due to time, essentially paying pennies on the dollar for the insured item covered, the public adjuster will hold the large company accountable and will usually charge 5-7% of the total paid claim which will still be well ahead of what the original insurance company would have paid out.

Reactions: marty319
My brother passed late this morning. Thank you for all the kind thoughts and well wishes. His complications were just too severre.
Very sorry for the loss of your brother @begreen , we'll say a prayer for the family.

Just checking in. How is your SIL doing?

She is doing the best she can. Thanks for asking. It's a lot to deal with and the reminders of the tragedy are always present. She has a mountain of things to deal with as she tries to rebuild a life. It's not easy at 70. Currently she is working on the sale of the property. I admire her strength. She is a fighter and forward-thinking. Having a place to stay with my sister has helped out a great deal. It may turn out to a more or less permanent arrangement.