Special ask, family lost everything

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Most folks have no concept of how quickly a fire can progress from small flame to literally blowing out the window of a room. Sometimes when I teach a fire safety class I will ask folks what they would save if they had a fire in their home . . . some folks have quite the long list which would take them at least 10-20 minutes to remove from their home.

Your post convinced me to get a wifi smoke detector. Hope it works. Hope I never have to find out!

Most folks have no concept of how quickly a fire can progress from small flame to literally blowing out the window of a room. Sometimes when I teach a fire safety class I will ask folks what they would save if they had a fire in their home . . . some folks have quite the long list which would take them at least 10-20 minutes to remove from their home.
Yes, my SIL said that several windows blew out.

A short update:
My brother's condition is slowly improving. His blood oxygen levels are looking better now. They have taken him off of sedatives but he still has not regained consciousness. We hope it will be soon. His wife is now with him so he can hear a familiar voice and touch. Your good wishes and prayers are much appreciated.

Thank you for continued updates. We will continue to keep him and your sister-in-law in our prayers. I am glad that she is with him now.

A lot has happened in the past few days. On Thursday my brother opened his eyes and acknowledge contact. With his vital signs improving they performed a tracheotomy the next day and moved the ventilator and oxygen to the trach. This will be more comfortable for him and allow him to swallow. ICU beds are needed and the hospital is full so yesterday they moved him to a different pulmonary critical care hospital where they will work on therapy and getting him off the ventilator. His burns are healing well and the good news is that he has no 3d degree burns, only 1st and 2nd degree which means he will not need skin grafts. Right now he is fighting pneumonia, but otherwise still responsive, though confused with the move. His wife and my sister will see him tomorrow and get a recovery plan from his caseworker and docs.

My brother passed late this morning. Thank you for all the kind thoughts and well wishes. His complications were just too severre.

My sincerest condolences.

I am so sorry to hear this. My condolences.

Begreen, I am so sorry to hear this, especially after it seemed that he had been improving. I’m sure that makes it all the more difficult.

We will continue to pray for you and your family as you grieve, especially for your sister-in-law as she now has to deal with even more emotional and logistical strain on top of losing her home and pets. Again, my very sincere condolences to you and yours.

So sorry for your loss

Sorry for you and your family's loss. Your brother sounded like a great guy. He put his own life on the line to save his wife.

So sorry to hear this. Was hoping he would continue to improve. Uncle Sam just returned some of my money this weekend so my donation is in.

Condolences to you and your family, begreen.
I am just starting to pick up with the work schedule. You can expect some help from my way soon.
I know it will be helpful.

Condolences offered to you and the family. Like you said earlier, life is fragile, but we often take it for granted.

So very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. My prayers are with you and your family.

Even from the little I have read I can see that the world has lost a good one. Sorry for your and your family’s loss.

So sorry to hear that. We are thinking of you.

Very sorry to hear it BG. :(

Never met the guy, but right now I am feeling quite sad for you, your sister-in-law and the rest of the family and friends. Thinking of you all.