Spikin at around 700 - issue? - Its a Keystone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Hearth Supporter
Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
So on full load up I am getting just a little over 700 but it only stays there a short while - seems to then drop and cruise around 650 for awhile. Big issue or acceptable
Was going to call Woodstock but figured I would through it out here first

700 is cooking pretty good on the Keystone. Is this with firebox blazing away or cat only burn? If it's cat only, you can open the damper a bit and deprive the cat all the smoke to burn and let some of the flames take care of it. That will take care of some of the cat intensity. If it's with the firebox raging, then you might want to damper down a bit. What damper setting are you getting the 700 degree temps?

Bill

What do you have the air set at and what does the fire look like? The only time I get close to that 700 temp is when I turn the air down to about .5 which snuffs out the flames and gives the cat some major cat chow. If this happens once in awhile it shouldn't be a problem.

If your stove looks like my avatar, your cat can drive your stove top very high chewing on smoke with the damper way down. If it looks like Todd's, you will have a lower stove top, but be throwing a ton of heat!

I burn my stove a lot on cat only burns, especially for overnight burns, but usually spike at 600ish and cruise for hours at 500. It's nice to get up in the morning and have more than enough coals to relight the stove.

You got a great stove - just don't melt it... ;)

Bill

so yea - cat only burn
Damper btwn 1 and 0
sounds like I am okay

overnite I usually load up around 11 and by 8 the next morn its down to 200 or so and just enough coals and stuff to get it moving easily

Now that is all with out burning my good locust that I have tons of for the colder nites 10 to 10 below

Yeah, sometimes that cat burn can get away from you if you turn it down to quickly and too low. I like to burn with a little flame for 30-60 minutes before turning it down for a low cat burn.

so how low do you wait before reload - is it a temp you do it at or do you wait for most of the wood to be just coals

kayakkeith said:
so how low do you wait before reload - is it a temp you do it at or do you wait for most of the wood to be just coals

With my Keystone, I reload anytime. I don't have to wait for the stove to burn down to coals. I have topped it off before hitting the sack for the night with a firebox half full of wood and 500 degrees stove top. Keep in mind, this is my set-up and yours may have a different reaction, but I find the Keystone the MOST controllable stove I've ever laid my hands on. With my Englander, I let it burn down to 300ish max before reloading out of fear of a runaway stove. Not so with the Keystone.

Of course now that I've said it.... ;)

Good luck,
Bill

At the factory for the open house, I was asking the builders about the "redline" temps for their stoves. When the number 750, came up, they kinda shook their head a little bit to contemplate it but didn't seem concerned about that temp (that was my take anyway) but said they'd probably keep it under that.

Are you using one of their thermometers? (I believe it's a condar w/ different badging on it). Maybe they have a specific location for it on the stove as it's face indicates catalyst temp. (BTW, it's the thermometer in my avatar)

pen

pen said:
At the factory for the open house, I was asking the builders about the "redline" temps for their stoves. When the number 750, came up, they kinda shook their head a little bit to contemplate it but didn't seem concerned about that temp (that was my take anyway) but said they'd probably keep it under that.

Are you using one of their thermometers? (I believe it's a condar w/ different badging on it). Maybe they have a specific location for it on the stove as it's face indicates catalyst temp. (BTW, it's the thermometer in my avatar)

pen

That's the thermometer I use. It is a Condor rebadges Woodstock. It is located on the center front block all the way to the rear of it - over the cat.

Bill

kayakkeith said:

I usually reload with a stove top of 200-300. Lately I've been doing 3 loads per day, burning some half punky Oak I'm trying to get rid off before colder weather sets in. My overnight fire is usually about 10+ hours set at .75 which gives me a no flame cat burn, the other 2 fires during the day are 3/4 loads set at #1 and give me a 6-7 hour burn. If I use my good wood I can get away with consistant 12 hour burns with a full load and the stove top is right around 200 with enough coals to relight another full load.

yea its like the one in your avatar and I have mine same place as the other Keystoner posted

Status
Not open for further replies.