Spiral Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have rubber-tipped and nerf versions now. Damn lawsuits take the fun out of everything.

Bet they are still legal in NH. :coolhmm: I know a guy...

I thought about using one of those on my skidsteer. I've seen them on utube. split from the seat and never have to get out close to the spinning thing. I think it would be great for those BIG rounds that are too heavy to pick up or roll to the splitter. I never found one of the heads cheap enough so I ended up makeing a double spitter. One with a 6in cyl on the bottem for the big stuff and one with a 4in on the top for the stuff i can pick up. if I have someone handing the rounds to me i can split about 4 times faster than I can with my 37 ton tractor supply special. The down side is I'm running a 85hp motor on the skidsteer.
The screw type wouldn't be that fast.
leaddog

I envision using a skid steer with the screw type splitter driven by hydraulics and sitting vertically off the bucket. Large rounds standing on end, just drive over, lower the boom, and screw the rounds. Move on to the next….is that what you had in mind, leaddog?

A friend of mine had one attached to a tractor, let me just say, while he was splitting I was backing up. It spun the logs very fast and they sometimes flew off, wood and bark shooting around. Very dangerous!

This is one of those times where unless you've actually used one, you don't know what you're talking about. There is nothing out there that relates to this device enough to sort of imagine how it would work. Using the tractor moutned style is a very smooth operation. The screw just spins at a steady speed and you apply the wood to it. This is not like the hydro splitter where you wrestle a round up and then engage the wedge one way, then another, then clear the wood. There are just fewer steps and everything flows really fast. As you split up the round, the splits accumulate in a pile at your feet rather quickly.

wkpoor said:
No defending it but I think it is no more dangerous than hydraulics if you had a way to easily and quickly stop it.

How about one of those gizmos for table saws that will keep them from cutting through a weiner. Turn it on, stick the weiner into the blade and the blade stops and drops so fast it doesn't even put a scratch on the weiner. But I remember in the advertisements they always used an Oscar Mayer weiner. I'd have more faith in one of those if they had had more faith in it - i.e. used their own weiner to demo it.

Safety issues aside, the Stickler is $279! You can buy a decent electric splitter for that price and still drive your car to the hospital. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.