Split baffle plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frenchman

Mar 17, 2021
France
Hi there everyone!

A part inside our stove is split:

IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

I put everything back into place, but the right half is broken in two parts. I think this happened as I loaded a log and probably hit it, and at the same time displaced the horizontal bar holding it. Everything fell down. Not sure whether this broke at that time or whether it was already broken. Also not sure whether it's the fall that broke it, or the impact from the log.

From my research, it seems to me that this part is called the baffle plate.

I was wondering 2 things: 1) whether it's typically covered by the warranty, and 2) whether I should replace it or it's ok that way.

Our stove is a Jotul F500 Eco SE.

1) The warranty

From my readings, if that is indeed a baffle plate, the warranty information from Jotul and from the reseller seem to say that it is not covered by the warranty.

Do you confirm that this is typically the case?

2) Should I replace it

From my readings also, it seemed to me that keeping it as is, without replacing it, was not a problem. From what I understood, it serves two purposes, one being for performance and the other being security.

Performance-wise, I read that its purpose is to force the flames to turn before going up the tubes, to keep more heat inside and allow double combustion. It seems to me that while it is broken indeed, and definitely some microscopic currents of air can go through the crack, I have put it back into place such that this current is negligible, and doesn't enable strong traction to operate through this crack.

Security-wise, I read that its purpose is to prevent the flames to go directly into the tubes, where they could start burning some sticky residue (not sure what the name is in English). Here again, it seems to me that the purpose is still achieved in this new situation.

Thus from the above I would tend to conclude that it's ok to keep it as is.

Also, the invoice from the reseller preemptively states that cracks are not a problem, but in my case it's completely split.

Do you confirm my analysis and conclusion that I don't need to replace it?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

If not disturbed, it may be ok this way. The broken baffle could be repaired by making some pins that insert halfway into the two broken edges, then using refractory cement to bond them together. The pins could be made of long, thin brads, or maybe from unfolding large paper clips and cutting the straight sections.

Reactions: Frenchman
Looks like its well supported in front and back, so no chance for it to fall into the firebox. Halves fit together well. I'd leave it.

Reactions: Frenchman
Thanks a lot for your swift answers guys! I really appreciate it.

If anybody agrees or disagrees, I'd love to get more feedback, to know whether this is consensual or not.

Cheers!

@Fod01, I saw in another thread that actually you're in the same situation? Your baffle plate is split since a few years?
Yes! I was really concerned initially. In my case, the baffle split front to back, but diagonally top to bottom so the pieces overlap. Years later, and it still works like a charm.

Yours looks just as tight. It was already a 2-piece baffle, correct? There should be no issue with having 3 pieces that fit together well and are stable. Had it split left to right there would be no support. You'd need to replace or stitch together like Begreen suggested.

Have a few fires. If they separate, then you may have to take action. I'm betting is that all is well.

Happy Holidays
Gabe

Yes! I was really concerned initially. In my case, the baffle split front to back, but diagonally top to bottom so the pieces overlap. Years later, and it still works like a charm.

Yours looks just as tight. It was already a 2-piece baffle, correct? There should be no issue with having 3 pieces that fit together well and are stable. Had it split left to right there would be no support. You'd need to replace or stitch together like Begreen suggested.

Have a few fires. If they separate, then you may have to take action. I'm betting is that all is well.

Happy Holidays
Gabe
Awesome, thanks a lot!

Actually I have been using it that way for 2 weeks already, and it doesn't seem to behave any differently.

Thanks again a lot for your help!

I suppose the answer would be to be more careful loading the stove. The baffle boards aren’t especially durable. Being able to move probably saved them from a lot of minor damage.

I suppose the answer would be to be more careful loading the stove. The baffle boards aren’t especially durable. Being able to move probably saved them from a lot of minor damage.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to help!

Unfortunately I don't really understand your answer. Do you mean that the reason it's so easy to dislodge the bar is to enable the baffle plate to move, in order to avoid breaking it?

I don't think that would be the case. The bar supporting the baffle plate doesn't prevent it from moving upwards. Thus if knocked by a log, the baffle plate can be lifted up with the log, avoiding breakage. The problem is that the bar is easy to dislodge, and thus the plate collapses. If the bar was better attached it wouldn't. Since I posted, we actually tied a wire around the hook and the bar, to prevent it from falling for example.

Was that what you meant?

Thanks again very much for taking the time to help!

I’m glad you figured out a way to secure the bar!

I was just saying to be careful loading the wood.

Ok got it!

Yeah we tied this wire around it, apparently it won't fall down, but this is clearly hacky, and I am wondering whether there isn't a good reason why Jotul hasn't done something of the kind. I worry that maybe there is a security reason for not making the bar easy to dislodge, or something like that.

It seems so surprising to me, it looks like bad design, which is no expected from Jotul