Splitter catch tray

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingsfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 1, 2008
Jackson,Mi.
I have a /huskey 22 ton splitter from TSC. I have been thinking I would like to add a catch tray to it. I am thinking of one that could be switched from one side of the splitter to the other without too much difficulty. Does anyone have any ideals or pictures of some thet have made for thier splitter. Thanks in advance.

First off, I took off the log holder on the operator side because it got in my way. Then I got to thinking that I use it to twin up the log holder on the other side to fashion a sort of work table.

On the operator side, I now place a very large round on end by my left foot and use in as a holding table for splits that i still need to resplit.

As far as a purpose built table, I see them on ebay and a few have been posted here. The real fancy ones are a log lift that doubles as a table in the up position.

Here is a picture of one on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOG-SPLITTE...376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f10a2f000
!B6V10nwBWk~$(KGrHqR,!iYEyd42YbSzBM)Fo!HTCQ~~_12.JPG

i got that one from ebay for around $50 and it paid for itself in one splitting. When you are working alone, there is no other way to go!!

Have the same splitter. I printed a pic of one on Ebay, let a local welder have my splitter for a few days and he made one for me. Bolts on w/2 bolts and is a bit "beafier" than the one on the net. This and the pickaroon were the 2 best things I've acquired for doing solo work.

What is a pickeroon?

Here's a pic of my short pencil job in action.

100_0341.JPG

LLigetfa said:
Here's a pic of my short pencil job in action.

100_0341.JPG

Looks good.
Is that the troybilt (mtd) & you moved the one out of the way of the operator side to the other side.?
Looks pretty sturdy & more user friendly.:)

Ja, here's another pic from the other side.

100_0340.JPG

thanks for the replies and the pictures. I think I will look to ebay and se what is available.

Ja, go for it. Here's a closeup on the umbrella mount. Realized after that the crank was facing the wrong way so drilled another hole.

100_0330.JPG

wingsfan said:
What is a pickeroon?
Mine looks something like this....I can pull rounds/splits out of the 8' bed of my truck w/o having to hop into and out of it several times.

Attachments

• 367-05158-lg.jpg
    367-05158-lg.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 794
Here's what I did on my Troy built. The originals were junk. I used the same brackets on the I beam and made new arms and trays. The one on the far side had to be smaller to go vertical and I had to "trim" the fender. There's a shot so you can kinda see how they are mounted underneath

Attachments

• SL733882.jpg
    SL733882.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,040
  • SL733930.jpg
    SL733930.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 860
Wingsfan - I WANT YOUR SNOWBLOWER.

Oh - and to keep on track - pics:
and second with outfeed table:

Attachments

• 100_1543sm.jpg
    100_1543sm.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 787
  • 100_1545sm.jpg
    100_1545sm.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 908
Jags said:
Wingsfan - I WANT YOUR SNOWBLOWER.

Oh - and to keep on track - pics:
and second with outfeed table:

Jags,
just to much.
Electric log lifter. Sweet!
That is a really nice feature. Was it an "add on" or come with the splitter?
That would be handy for sure. Sure se some nice equipment here, Thanks for adding to my "want list"
Very nice splitter :)

bogydave said:
Jags,
just to much.
That would be handy for sure. Sure se some nice equipment here, Thanks for adding to my "want list"

I built the whole thing, Dave. Splitter and all the "features" :lol:

WOW!
Man, you did a good job. Good engineering!
No wonder I never saw one like it when I was shopping for a splitter.
Looks like it has split a few cords of wood.
Custom color too :)
& we are just trying to get a good work tray to attach that goes on & off easily. Gives us ideas though.
I may have to get a welder to make one.
I'll just have to live with splitting vertical for the heavy rounds. But can dream :)

I've got a Timberwolf splitter (smallest one), and used it a couple of years without a tray, then added one this year. I bought their tray, as opposed to making one. I like that it is not permanently attached (slides in place). I also notice that it is primarily beyond the splitting wedge (wood pushed through the wedge, falls past the wedge onto the rack), whereas several of the pictures here look like they are ahead of, or beside the wedge. I thought it was odd at first, but find it works well. I don't have a photo, but they have plenty of pics on the web that you can borrow ideas from.

Attachments

• a131686.jpg
    a131686.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 581
Jags said:
bogydave said:
Jags,
just to much.

I built the whole thing, Dave. Splitter and all the "features" :lol:

WOW! That is the best ides for a log lifter. I want that! Doesn't have to cost too much at all...just a friend to weld some steel and an electric winch...nice...

CTwoodburner said:
WOW! That is the best ides for a log lifter. I want that! Doesn't have to cost too much at all...just a friend to weld some steel and an electric winch...nice...

If you do go that route, make sure the winch is a power in/power out. Some of the cheap ones freewheel out. I bought that winch from HF for about $50. The only thing I had to do was reverse all the winch cable out and wind it the other way so that the arrows on the control were correct (up arrow is up, and down arrow was down). Takes about 3 seconds to lift to beam height.

A different view:

Attachments

• 005sm.jpg
    005sm.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 701
Status
Not open for further replies.