Splitter catch tray

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LLigetfa said:
Here is a picture of one on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOG-SPLITTE...376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f10a2f000
!B6V10nwBWk~$(KGrHqR,!iYEyd42YbSzBM)Fo!HTCQ~~_12.JPG

The thing I don't like about this type of table is that it is much lower than the beam so you always have to reach way over to pick up the other half of the split. Not good for the back. Following my scrounger's principles of spending as little money on wood as possible, I place two sawhorses on the other side of the beam, lay a small, very sturdy pallet on top of them so that the pallet is flush with the beam. I load several rounds onto the table. Now I can pull a round off the table split it. Lay half of the split back on the table while I split the first half further, grab the other half of the split and split it again, etc, etc, etc.

Works great, no cost, ergonomically pleasing and I never have to worry about shearing bolts off when I drop a big split on it.

Kenster said:
LLigetfa said:

The thing I don't like about this type of table is that it is much lower than the beam so you always have to reach way over to pick up the other half of the split...
Agreed, which is why I like my short pencil version which is slightly higher than the beam. Removing the log holder from the operator side also lets me stand closer to the beam so that it isn't as much of a reach.

I keep moving my splitter as one pile grows and the other pile shrinks plus I always tow it back to the toolshed every night so staging a pallet would be a PITA. I have tried placing two rounds stacked on the far side and I often place one round on the near side as extra holding area. Some sort of folding table would be easier than rolling a big round or two into place.

100_0343.JPG

LLigetfa said:
First off, I took off the log holder on the operator side because it got in my way. Then I got to thinking that I use it to twin up the log holder on the other side to fashion a sort of work table.

On the operator side, I now place a very large round on end by my left foot and use in as a holding table for splits that i still need to resplit.

You obviously are a genius sir-- and not coincidentally, I do the exact same thing with my Husky splitter. :)

CTwoodburner said:
i got that one from ebay for around $50 and it paid for itself in one splitting. When you are working alone, there is no other way to go!!

where did you get it from? the ebay one is $102 w/ shipping

LLigetfa said:
Kenster said:
LLigetfa said:
I keep moving my splitter as one pile grows and the other pile shrinks plus I always tow it back to the toolshed every night so staging a pallet would be a PITA. I have tried placing two rounds stacked on the far side and I often place one round on the near side as extra holding area. Some sort of folding table would be easier than rolling a big round or two into place.

100_0343.JPG

Patio Umbrella ?
"COME ON MAN" :)

bogydave said:
Patio Umbrella ?
"COME ON MAN" :)
Ja, I got it made in the shade. What can I say? I hate to sweat and that pic was taken in Spring with no leaves yet on the trees.

smoke eater said:
CTwoodburner said:
i got that one from ebay for around $50 and it paid for itself in one splitting. When you are working alone, there is no other way to go!!

where did you get it from? the ebay one is $102 w/ shipping

Prices have apparently gone up in 2 years. I would still buy it at that price.

Kenster said:
LLigetfa said:

The thing I don't like about this type of table is that it is much lower than the beam so you always have to reach way over to pick up the other half of the split. Not good for the back. Following my scrounger's principles of spending as little money on wood as possible, I place two sawhorses on the other side of the beam, lay a small, very sturdy pallet on top of them so that the pallet is flush with the beam. I load several rounds onto the table. Now I can pull a round off the table split it. Lay half of the split back on the table while I split the first half further, grab the other half of the split and split it again, etc, etc, etc.

Works great, no cost, ergonomically pleasing and I never have to worry about shearing bolts off when I drop a big split on it.

Don't be so dramatic...who is reaching waayyy over?? That table works just fine for this guy with a bad back and one surgery already under my belt. And if it did not work well because of the 3 inch drop, I would just bolt or have something welded on top of it. All it usually takes is half a log or some splits. It doesn't have to hold half a cord of wood for me. Actually, the worst thing about the drop is it occasionally is too much and splits roll off the table. In general, it is a non issue.

i'm about to order 2 of these. one for my buddy. waiting to see what the shipping will be.

I agree-don't be so dramatic. That rack works like a charm--I've got one, and it really changed the way I feel about splitting alone. Before, it was a chore to pick up the (especially) big pieces on the other side, but the rack lets me slide over the pieces I'm working on and get one whole round done at once. Well built, strong, and comes off easily for vertical splitting.

Email the guy and tell him you heard about it here--he'll give you a better deal.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.