splitter cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Saw a Speeco splitter cover at Tractor Supply Co. for $60. Looked like a good investment, since my splitter will be living outdoors a lot, until I can get my wood shed(s) built. Didn't want to buy the cover, until I heard some opinions on it, though. I got the Husky 22-ton splitter. Right now, it's living under a tarp.

Thanks!

Don't know about them, but how long till your shed's are built? I'm always looking to save cash on these kinds of things. Wonder how much the fairly cheap grill covers are - perhaps cut flat and drape over splitter? What is wrong with the tarp? I'm not a fan of leaving my splitter outside- it lives in the barn - buy my Dad had it for several months and he kept is loosely tarped - some rusting but pretty minor - for short term storage seems like it would be okay. Cheers!

Metal surface get condensation on them & rust if outdoors.
UV on the tires & hoses is bad too.
Tarps are OK but need some air circulation & seem to never be totally dry under them.
OK short term.

Don't know if the cover is better than a tarp though.
Looks to cover everything well:
spcospltcvt.jpg

Mine is in a un-heated, dry equip shed.

Mine lives outside. I took an old trash can that blew over year a few years ago and stuck it over the engine. The rest gets snowed and rained on, nothing really that will damage anything.\

I'm sure the sun and weather will cause the paint to fade a bit and the rubber to weather crack but I'm not too worried about it.

I keep my splitter in a shed . . . but that said . . . my Uncle has an old MTD (looks more like the Husky splitter) that he has kept outside for years with little to nothing covering it. He did have to replace some hoses this year . . . but it's been well over 10 years that he has owned it.

I like to keep my equipment indoors, as well, but my shed is full of equipment much more expensive than this splitter (I ain't leaving a tractor or zero-turn sit out!), and my barn is being used for shop space right now. Splitter is living on a flagstone patio under our porch , so it has shelter on two sides and a roof over it.

The immediate purpose for the cover is as much to hide it from the contractors building on the lot next door, as protection from weather. That said, I may not want to haul it back up to the house every evening, when I'm in splitting mode, so the cover will be useful in the woods. Long-term, I'll likely keep the splitter in one of the wood sheds I'll be building, so it will have a roof, but still be exposed on the side.

Just looking for opinions on how well this particular cover holds up, and how well it fits this machine. Thanks!

simple little brown tarp keeps mine dry, clean and rust free

Finally - a use for a wheel barrow that I can endorse.;lol

I use a tarp and leave the ends open to allow for air flow. If it's not going to be used for an extended period, it goes in the garage .

This is where I parked our splitter for many years. I did put some 1 x 6 lumber under each tire (2 pieces under each tire) but other than that, just the tarp. I now have a nice place in the barn to keep it but kept it like in the picture for 20 years. My total cost on repairs so far on this splitter is exactly $0.00.

Christmas-2008d.JPG

Reactions: Nixon
Been through 2 covers so far.
First was a cheap ATV cover made out of nylon "rain fly" type material. It didn't make it long with the UV and wind.
Currently has an old grill cover made out of a heavier cloth

Status
Not open for further replies.