Splitter issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
went to start my hydraulic splitter this morning, which is a 25 ton dirty handtools model. Pull the chain to start it after doing all the normal stuff and the chain just pulls freely with no resistance in which to start the motor. I’m guessing this is some thing that happens fairly routinely, but I haven’t dealt with it yet. Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks in advance!

I should put this post in The Gear section. I just moved it there.

When you pull the cord, 2 arms should extend into pockets on the flywheel.

I’m sure there’s plenty of YouTube videos on recoil starters.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Thank you for the info. I’ll take it apart soon and let you know what I come up with.

Thank you for the info. I’ll take it apart soon and let you know what I come up with.
After I just yanked the string quick and hard, something got jostled in there and it’s working like normal again,. Thanks again for the advice.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Must have been out of alignment. Fixed it and you didn’t even hit it with a hammer! Win!