Splitter repair help (pump replacement)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryjen

Burning Hunk
Feb 2, 2014
north carolina
Last night a log rolled back, caught the supply line to the pump, and pulled it out. The hose didn't come off, the fitting that the hose attaches to pulled out from the pump itself. I'm not sure if that can be fixed or not.
I shoved it back in, and we continued the job for a few hours, but it is leaking.
First question is if there is a way to fix that without purchasing a new pump.
Second question is to figure out what size pump I need if I do have to replace it.
My splitter is a homebuilt that I got off craigslist, so there isn't much to identify. But here are some pictures. Other than physically measuring, I don't think there is a way to know what size the shaft is, etc.

Here is an overall look of the pump:

IMG_2297.jpg

Closer look at supply line that pulled out: (Note: Miller Lite can is for catching leaking fluid and is not part of the working mechanisim. Should not be considered for identification)

IMG_2298.jpg

Here is the other side, the pressurized line, may help identify pump.

]
IMG_2299.jpg

This is where the pump attaches to the engine. Again, thought it may help with identification.

IMG_2300.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I have used Permatex high strength red #27100 to hold the press fit fitting on a pump. Just make sure none gets inside pump. Apply only to fitting.
27100.jpg

Any brand 2-stage pump up to 16 gpm will fit your pump mount. Available horse power will determine pump size. Minimum 8 hp for a16 gpm pump. 5.5 hp for a 11gpm pump.

Reactions: Fifelaker
I like the prices better here.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...r-Pumps/11-GPM-2-STAGE-HYD-PUMP-9-7503-11.axd What horse power is your engine? That will tell you how big of a pump you can run. Then you have to look at what size of fittings and hoses, next is the shaft size. You can change just 1/2 of a love joy coupling to make it work if the shaft sizes are different. There is a good chance if you pull the supply hose you can replace the fitting.

Reactions: duramaxman05
The three important parts of the pump replacement are.
GPM
Shaft size and length
inlet outlet size.
Your going to have to remove it, see it there are any identifiying numbers and measure the shaft and bolt pattern.
My guess is it is probably 11 GPM. Best way to figure that out is to measure the cylinder size and speed of ram cycle.

Engine is old Briggs 5 HP.
Cylinder size is unknown at the moment. It's a Prince tie rod, 2500 max PSI. Numbers stamped on it are H0170720, 9424, and it has "4C2F" cast into the back of it but internet search on all numbers turns up nothing. That may be showing the splitter age. I even looked on the Prince online catalog, and there is nothing even close to it in part number.

Cylinder size is unknown at the moment. It's a Prince tie rod, 2500 max PSI. Numbers stamped on it are H0170720, 9424, and it has "4C2F" cast into the back of it but internet search on all numbers turns up nothing. That may be showing the splitter age. I even looked on the Prince online catalog, and there is nothing even close to it in part number.

Go on the prince website and send a question to customer service.

With 5hp I am certain it is no bigger than 11 gpm. measure shaft size and hook it up. Most are the same mount and the lines can be adapted to fit. You can use black iron on the inlet side but DO NOT use any on the high pressure side. Test for leaks with a long piece of cardboard or something besides any part of you.

I ran out to Northern Tool and picked up the thread locker #27100 and used that on the press fitting. I’m going to seal around it today with an extra layer of protection with some RVT for good measure but wanted to give it the full 24 hour cure time before I did that. While I was there I picked up a gallon of hydro fluid and a new filter.

It’s probably a good thing that this happened as when I drained the fluid it smelled like burnt electrical components. She was probably way overdue a fluid change. What did surprise me was the amount of fluid that the thing had in it. I don’t have exact numbers, but it filled my oil change drain bucket. If I had to guess I would say there is 8 or more quarts. I’m going to put the 1 gallon of new fluid I bought in there, and then pour the used back into the gallon jug and see what I have left in the bucket after that. Then I will get more fluid based on that.

Thanks for all the replies and help. It’s great to have this resource!

I had this fitting leak on mine when I first got it and it used to wiggle out every once and a while. Its mild steel and very malleable.
The return side fitting can be repaired correctly easily. If you can find a new fitting its even better. I removed the fitting and used a 9/16 deep socket (1/2 drive which had the tapper at one end I needed) to re-stretch the pressed end on my vise. Be careful not to over stretch it or it will be difficult to get started in the pump. If you do you can massage it to fit. I used a quality sealant before I re-installed it but it shouldn't be necessary. About 30 cords later it still doesn't leak at all.

I ran out to Northern Tool and picked up the thread locker #27100 and used that on the press fitting. I’m going to seal around it today with an extra layer of protection with some RVT for good measure but wanted to give it the full 24 hour cure time before I did that. While I was there I picked up a gallon of hydro fluid and a new filter.

It’s probably a good thing that this happened as when I drained the fluid it smelled like burnt electrical components. She was probably way overdue a fluid change. What did surprise me was the amount of fluid that the thing had in it. I don’t have exact numbers, but it filled my oil change drain bucket. If I had to guess I would say there is 8 or more quarts. I’m going to put the 1 gallon of new fluid I bought in there, and then pour the used back into the gallon jug and see what I have left in the bucket after that. Then I will get more fluid based on that.

Thanks for all the replies and help. It’s great to have this resource!

8 quarts is very little volume for hydraulic fluid. You may want to consider increasing the size of the reservoir. Its probably going to over heat. Especially in warm/ hot weather.

Reactions: Fifelaker
I do not have a reservoir. The fluid is held inside the I beam of the splitter. I do not have a way of checking the level of fluid, nor do I know how much should be in there, as it appears to be home built and very second hand. The only place for me to fill the fluid is from the removable breather cap. I’m at work with no access to pictures at the moment. Sorry.

Out of curiosity, how much fluid is considered average?

Oh wow. I doubt there is 4 gallons in the bucket, but maybe I was way low to begin with?

They actually make a thread lock for pressed fittings it is green.....another member pointed it out to me and that is what I used. Good Luck....

Well she's locked, gooped, and after the 24 hour cure time on the RVT (4:00 this afternoon) I will fill her with 2 gallons of Hydro fluid, and see where we're at.
Again, thanks for all the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.