Splitter Sale Price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BoiledOver

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2013
43°58'55 N - 85°20' W
https://www.logsplittersdirect.com/YardMax-YU2566/p68195.html?review_sort=1

$875 total includes delivery. The half beam by Yardmax seems slightly more ergonomic but have not found it at this price.

Opinions?
YM01.JPG
YM02.JPG

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Likes: The price. Log cradles and 4 way included. Briggs, is it still made in USA?, cycle time, color, Stripper plates included and applicable to 4 way.
What I do not like: stripper plate seems vulnerable due cantilevered design. I am suspicious of the need for a back plate spinner and the spinners longevity and/or the beams strength/lack of strength and it's dependency on the spinner to eliminate tourque.

Looks nice, time will tell.

Always growing pains and RD with new products. I'd like to see one after 150 cords of hardwood. Lot of new gizmos.

Things I would be looking for in a new splitter are being equally able to split from either side, and the engine closer to the front, away from falling wood. So I would pass on this design. Personally speaking.

Things I would be looking for in a new splitter are being equally able to split from either side, and the engine closer to the front, away from falling wood. So I would pass on this design. Personally speaking.
Unfortunately most of these models up to the $1,500 range have a similar design and something is vulnerable in that area.Imo, for this unit and the similar tractor supply unit, at this price, if this design is a deal-breaker it could be very easily changed and one would still be money ahead. I've looked at some equipment on this company site before and it seems that they have a reputable business model, but for me I feel Tractor Supply gives me more confidence in the sale then a company far away via mail order. Now for those individuals locally to this company they may feel different.

Yes, I agree on both points. Yardmax also produces a half beam model of each of their splitters which has a center control and a different axle design. My target is a 25 or 30 ton half beam on the cheap but have not seen a price that I will pay. A video comparing the half and full beam models:

A very important feature is that it goes vertical. The beam length needs to be long enough for the operator to stand there without working over the tire. This machine looks a bit tight. I would go see one. Good that the engine is on the far side. I have seen some with the engine directly below the falling split.

676AD322-0A4C-49B2-A25A-9CF2A5EE7B5E.jpeg
I bought a nice 37 ton 13 second 17GPM 8” wedged splitter for only $25 more yesterday. It splits vertically or horizontally of course and it has a side table. I sold my 22 ton splitter I bought on BF 3 years ago for $600 of the same make in 1 hour on CL for $500, also yesterday. 37 is a bit big I know, and heavy... and slow but It should handle the big elm I often get for free up here with little problem. Being a slow splitter really doesn’t bother me. I have more time than money now, but me being 55 now, in 15-20 years I’m afraid I’ll say different lol.

Last edited:
View attachment 216656 I bought a nice 37 ton 13 second 17GPM 8” wedged splitter for only $25 more yesterday. It splits vertically or horizontally of course and it has a side table. I sold my 22 ton splitter I bought on BF 3 years ago for $600 of the same make in 1 hour on CL for $500, also yesterday. 37 is a bit big I know, and heavy... and slow but It should handle the big elm I often get for free up here with little problem. Being a slow splitter really doesn’t bother me. I have more time than money now, but me being 55 now, in 15-20 years I’m afraid I’ll say different lol.
I was at Menards today and took a look at the 37 ton, $1499 on the tag. Looks like you got a real bargain. Rock the sox off that thing.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I was at Menards today and took a look at the 37 ton, $1499 on the tag. Looks like you got a real bargain. Rock the sox off that thing.
Yes yesterday was the last day of the 3 day sale it was in. I heehawed around whether I should get it or not but then the Tim Taylor syndrome got the best of me and I got in the truck and made the 65 mile trip to get it.

".....What I do not like: stripper plate seems vulnerable due cantilevered design. I am suspicious of the need for a back plate spinner and the spinners longevity and/or the beams strength/lack of strength and it's dependency on the spinner to eliminate tourque.
I am thinking that I know what the spinner does. I think the spinner helps reduce torque and permit the round to re-align with the wedge & rod when you are slicing knots or stringy wood, etc. Yesterday and today my wedge was slicing some nearly rounds and I could see the round binding with the wedge and backplate and slightly moving out of alignment even though the wedge was slicing the grain. Concerned that my welding might not hold I paused, retracted the rod, the round repositioned itself (realigned with the wedge and rod) and proceeded to power right through it as if it was straight grain.

Last edited:
For me, the key issue is the log lift. I recently split up a 25" x40 foot in no time compared to having lift the log.

Reactions: Tar12
For me, the key issue is the log lift. I recently split up a 25" x40 foot in no time compared to having lift the log.
Yep....its all about the lift to me as well...especially if your cutting big stuff..and I do every chance I get.

Yep....its all about the lift to me as well...especially if your cutting big stuff..and I do every chance I get.
I'm finding that is where all the honey is. My larger trees seem to be waining and there seems to be less work without all the branches.

9656437A-14FA-4CE6-956A-1EDA4314ED6A.jpeg
Speaking about log lifts, I saw this splitter in the Wanted and For Sale section here on Hearth... it must be home made... I asked the guy that had it listed here what he got for it but I never heard back from him. It looks like you can run it up high on the seat or from ground level. Interesting!