Splitting Headache - How to use two wedges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2006
I have enough trouble using one wedge. I know Who and Where, but Why, When and How do you use two?
I'll admit, the only thing I have split in the past is the pellet bag, and I never had to use a wedge. Pellet days are over and I'm into real wood now. Along with many real wood questions. I've managed to split 3 cords and one thumb so far this first year, but the stitches are out and I'm fool enough to go at it again. I like the idea about using a tire as I sometimes chase those pieces all over.

On the rare ocassion that i use two wedges, usually the first one is near an edge of the round, if this starts to get to the point where it is going below the surface and not going to be enough. The 2nd either will go right next to(side by side) it or on the opposite side.. I try to keep the wedges near the sides so it is easier to get them out and you can hit easier with maul..it will save the handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.