splitting tire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i use a couple different ones,,,but they are all wide. It helps wood stay in,,,skinny ones let it fall over if not full

I'm using a 16" offroad truck tire, only because it was sitting around the place. Works great but I wish I had a tire with a smaller sidewall.

Doh... I just tossed a front tire from my 4wd tractor that would've been perfect for a splitting tire! Wasn't thinking.

I use a 15" tire on a 25" block. I drilled 2 holes in the wood block and have two 4.5" pins mounted on the tire. Just slip the pins it into the holes in the block to keep the tire from moving around. When I have a piece of wood over 15" I can just remove the tire and use the block.

I have an old 12 inch tractor tire I use. It's actually too wide!!! But the piece won't fall over. My x27 bounces a bit off the rubber.

I use a 15" tire on a 25" block. I drilled 2 holes in the wood block and have two 4.5" pins mounted on the tire. Just slip the pins it into the holes in the block to keep the tire from moving around. When I have a piece of wood over 15" I can just remove the tire and use the block.

Great idea, may steal that one

Had some wood dropped off by a neighbor tonight. Went out to split a few rounds in my PJ's, after putting the kids to bed. Was stacked by the driveway, and the yard is a soggy mess, so I was splitting on a short round set on the driveway. Should've had a tire, since one of my follow-thru's made contact with asphalt. The damage to my nicely ground edge is deep enough that my maul is going to lose weight in the repair! Won't be able to see the damage to the driveway until daylight.

Had some wood dropped off by a neighbor tonight. Went out to split a few rounds in my PJ's, after putting the kids to bed. Was stacked by the driveway, and the yard is a soggy mess, so I was splitting on a short round set on the driveway. Should've had a tire, since one of my follow-thru's made contact with asphalt. The damage to my nicely ground edge is deep enough that my maul is going to lose weight in the repair! Won't be able to see the damage to the driveway until daylight.

Good excuse to get the fiskers. I split a face cord today with mine and didn't break a sweat. I was skeptical until I got it but I'm sold now. It's well worth it.

Good excuse to get the fiskers...
Already got way too many axes, and at my usage rate, too little real use for them. I'm hoping my hydraulic splitter will be back from repair in a few days, as I've got about 8 cords I want to get split, ASAP!

I use a 19" rim, low profile tire that's pretty wide, too. Picked it out of Discount Tire's disposal bin.

nascar tire

I still just can't get myself to try the tire...... After the number of habits this site has changed of mine (for the better) one would think I wouldn't fight this so much anymore.

Reactions: Ashful
I tried it but the tire kept falling off of the little electric splitter.

Reactions: Rebelduckman

Want a pic of the concrete floor in my breezeway after the maul bit it 25 years ago on a cold, snowy and windy March night? When I needed just one more medium split...

Reactions: Ashful
We roll with a 20 and a round of red oak that fits nicely.....

I never quite understood the tire thing. I suppose if you're using a Fiskars and having to whack away multiple times to split a round it'd come in handy.
I prefer swinging a real axe once and being done with it, a tire would just be in the way.
(yeah, i said it) :eek:

I never quite understood the tire thing. I suppose if you're using a Fiskars and having to whack away multiple times to split a round it'd come in handy.
I prefer swinging a real axe once and being done with it, a tire would just be in the way.

It would come in handy cause you could bust up 3 or 4 rounds in a minute and not have to bend over 10-15 times doing it. I've only had my Axe one week but the most swings I've took to split a log was 2 hits. I have nothing bad to say so far

Reactions: Senatormofo

I can stuff three, four, sometimes five smaller rounds in my tire, pick up the X27 once and split them all with one swing each. But they all stay in the tire so I don't have to bend down to pick up all the splits again. (I split on a big round, not the ground). Same goes for one larger round..... Most times all the splits stay IN the tire and I don't have to pick em up again. That's why I use the tire. There is a lot of work in what we do here.... The tire takes just a little but of the work out if it.

Reactions: brant2000
Status
Not open for further replies.