Splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen something similar hooked up to a PTO on a tractor. The youtubes always seem to have really easy to split wood. Mine is never like that.

Ahhh - the old "cone of death". I have seen them driven by just about any method you can think of. The end results is always the same to me....you gotta be frikken kidding me. Not on my watch. There is no lever to let go of to make stuff stop happening.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
There is no lever to let go of to make stuff stop happening.
There certainly could be; because people don't utilize safety devices doesn't make all instances of them unsafe.

Hydraulic splitters are dangerous too, there are MANY things that COULD happen to injure/maim/kill you. Like ALL tools, a healthy dose of respect and risk mitigation go a LONG way.

The guy who runs the local rental place told me about 4 guys who rented a double ended Splitfire http://www.split-fire.com/splitter_sc_3215.html
Two guys brought it back 2 hrs later and he asked how they made out. Apparently the one guy lost 4 fingers.

There is no way I would get one of those unicorn splitters. I'd have wood flying everywhere.

Call me crazy, stupid, or daring but I'd love to make up a unicorn type splitter and use it. Not sure why but it intrigues me big time.

I like the concept but I have plenty of kindling already. That guy is turning reasonable splits into 4 or more pieces each. The one running on the wheel of a car is making more reasonable sized splits.

I watched a cousin cuss one of those things for quite some time. It was powered with a gas engine with a gear reduction box the drove the unicorn. Log jammed but didn't split. It had a bar/tube that the log rode against (to keep it from spinning). Log got stuck against that bar with no way to turn the dang thing backwards.;lol;lol;lol

I like the concept but I have plenty of kindling already. That guy is turning reasonable splits into 4 or more pieces each. The one running on the wheel of a car is making more reasonable sized splits.
I noticed the same thing; it baffles me why people split wood so stinking small... the only use I see for wood that small is for cooking on a campfire etc because you can more reliably regulate fire size/temps with small pieces...

I noticed the same thing; it baffles me why people split wood so stinking small... the only use I see for wood that small is for cooking on a campfire etc because you can more reliably regulate fire size/temps with small pieces...
Prepare to be driven crazy

Attachments

• unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.