Spruce take-down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
So, I've got a grouping of 4 Spruce in the center of the u drive, and I've been thinking of taking down 2 of 'em. They're way too close together.
One lost a part of the trunk from way up high last year and it's got (had) a bit of a lean. My SIL helped with some limbing with her little Homelite, and stacking all that off on the side of the drive.
Not completely happy with the back-cut, but it went almost exactly where I pointed it.:cool:
Should give me pretty close to a 1/3 cord for this fall.
0128131357.jpg 0128131358.jpg 0128131358a.jpg

Hey as long as the tree came down safely, that's what matters. When doing a risky job (I.E. trees in tight/precarious situations) I will spend lots of time planning the cut.

Looks like some nice shoulder season wood, Dave. I love using that spruce in my maple syrup evaporator. I burned a huge tree in the evaporator last year in one weekend, and it was still half green! When seasoned, that stuff puts out some good heat!

Been using Spruce for a while Scotty, and yep, it's good for shoulders.
I've been eyeing up the cut/drop path for this thing over a year now.:p Plenty of room to drop it up the drive going to the back field, and I erred a bit toward the tree line.
I've got about 2/3 cord from last year already drying, and I'll get this out in the field to dry too.
I plan to take down another one right next to this one....when it gets a little less cold out. >>

Reactions: ScotO
I've got some Spruce from a dead tree next door. What's the scoop on this stuff, Dave? Lots of pitch when burned? Doesn't look like it, from the splits I've seen...

Should make for some nice shoulder season wood. It reminds me of limbing up the downed Hemlocks, more branches than firewood!;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Spruce is a good fire wood.
Dries fast, burns down to a fine ash, good heat output & fairly long burns for a lower btu wood.
Tough to split by hand. (but spits good when green at -10°f or colder) ;)

Stumps take about 10 years to rot out here. Carpenter ants helped my stumps break apart.
Chair idea is a good one ;)

Reactions: PapaDave
Neighbor cut and split the Spruce here. I'm getting some that he cut short for me, for kindling. The rest is longer, medium-sized splits that were tossed in a pile a month ago. I took two load to my SIL today for outside fires. I only saw pitch blobs on one split. That stuff smells great...just like Spruce lumber. ==c
Also like the chair idea, although I wouldn't know where to start...

Status
Not open for further replies.