Square or Round Chimney Support Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keithmaryq

Apr 13, 2014
Bath, NC
Opinions and advice is appreciated.

I am installing a wood stove with Excel piping in the corner of our sun room (currently under construction). It is a 3/12 pitch roof with a corresponding cathedral ceiling that is just over 8 feet tall above the stove location,. My question concerns the chimney support box which will extend into the living space at least 5.5 inches. I am concerned the square box seems would appear clunky, especially on a low ceiling. Does anyone have experience with the round Excel support box, or have a photo of one installed?

Thanks...Keith

We have a round, flat ceiling support and like it. I painted the trim ring white before installing to reduce the visual impact (ceiling it painted white too).

Typically if you have a pitched ceiling, you will need to use the square box. The round support is used on a flat ceiling. Excel might be different, I'm not sure. I've only installed a few excel systems.

I appreciate the input. Seems like the trim ring for a round support box on a cathedral ceiling would be shaped elliptical...and of course the hole in the drywall -- I can see why the square box is so popular as this would be a little difficult. But worth it in my opinion...does anyone know if Excel sells the trim rings for cathedral ceilings?

You are correct. The trim ring would be oval. You need to choose the trim ring based on the slope of the roof.
Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 6.33.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 6.34.34 PM.png

I got all my stuff from this site for my DIY install.. they shipped pretty fast, and took care of a pipe that was damaged in shipping. Whether you are doing it DIY, or having someone else install the Excell, you can at least get an idea on what's offered and cost.. some folks say this site won't ship to everywhere (like Nevada), but they shipped to Ohio.

http://www.stoves-pipes.com/6-ICC-EXCEL-CLASS-A-CHIMNEY-PIPING-s/145.htm

I got all my stuff from this site for my DIY install.. they shipped pretty fast, and took care of a pipe that was damaged in shipping. Whether you are doing it DIY, or having someone else install the Excell, you can at least get an idea on what's offered and cost.. some folks say this site won't ship to everywhere (like Nevada), but they shipped to Ohio.

http://www.stoves-pipes.com/6-ICC-EXCEL-CLASS-A-CHIMNEY-PIPING-s/145.htm
I bought my last chimney system from these guys too. I picked it up at the warehouse. Smooth deal, they're local to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.