squaring off arch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

largerjt

Nov 14, 2022
sittingbourne
Hello everyone

I’m looking at squaring off the arch so that I can plaster and add an oak beam. I don’t really want to add a concrete lintel as it will lower the opening more than I would like. So I thought of removing the mortar and then adding a steel flat bar running from one side to the other. And then filling the void with concrete. Do you think this would work and does anyone have any advice?
thank you
Rob

fireplace.png

Hello everyone

I’m looking at squaring off the arch so that I can plaster and add an oak beam. I don’t really want to add a concrete lintel as it will lower the opening more than I would like. So I thought of removing the mortar and then adding a steel flat bar running from one side to the other. And then filling the void with concrete. Do you think this would work and does anyone have any advice?
thank you
Rob

View attachment 302745
I would leave the arch alone and just attach cement board on the face with a steel stud behind it and plaster over that.

Reactions: chrisarrington
could you explain in more detail what you mean please?
You are just looking to change aesthetics so no reason to mess with the structure. Take a steel stud cut it to fit across the bottom of the arch attach it and cover it with cement board them plaster it in. When you put your wood beam up just make sure you honor all required clearances