Squeaky Pelletmaster - What to Lube a Burn Ring With?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajstephan

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2009
Washington State
I just got my old Pelletmaster up and running for the first time and all is good so far. However, I get a loud squeak when the burn ring turns. I suppose I could use silicone to lubricate it, but I was wondering what others experiences were before I started experimenting with things that don't burn under 1000 degrees. I just got the pungent smell out of the house by burning off the old deposits on the inside of the stove and I don't want to start adding the smell of burned petrochemicals...

macman said:
Stephan said:
....when the burn ring turns......

The what????? :eek:hh:

Sounds like a soap opera. :lol:

I stepped right into that one...

My pelletmaster has a rotating ring around the crucible. Either it and/or the auger are squeaking. I'll try silicone and see if it improves.

Stephan said:
My pelletmaster has a rotating ring around the crucible. Either it and/or the auger are squeaking. I'll try silicone and see if it improves.

Another thought would be maybe try a thin coating of Anti-Seize (aka never seize) available at auto parts stores. just don't use too much, as the ash will stick.

There is also a Copper Anti-Seize. Rated for high temp.

Pretty sure the silicon will burn right off.

Last resort would be graphite.

jtakeman said:
There is also a Copper Anti-Seize. Rated for high temp.

Pretty sure the silicon will burn right off.

Last resort would be graphite.

I think the regular anti seize would work in a pinch, Jay. We use it on the threads of the spark plugs in our Sprint Car engines, and they get WAY hotter (their right next to the exhaust header) than a pellet stove. But the copper version would be good too.

But now that you mention it, the graphite might be the way to go.....not sticky, unaffected by heat, very slippery. Good suggestion!

If your PM is squeaking when the augor is turning, it's a good chance that the augor bearing fastened to the back of the pellet tank is going bad and should be replaced with a new brass bushing pellar block. Climac Control Systems use to have these, but they have left the parts business. You can go there and they will refer you to another site for parts.

cool daddy said:
....Climac Control Systems use to have these, but they have left the parts business.
CCS was owned by Rod Poplarchick, a member/moderator on this forum. His forum name is "Hearthtools" if anyone needs to PM him for info.

Stephan said:
I just got my old Pelletmaster up and running for the first time and all is good so far. However, I get a loud squeak when the burn ring turns. I suppose I could use silicone to lubricate it, but I was wondering what others experiences were before I started experimenting with things that don't burn under 1000 degrees. I just got the pungent smell out of the house by burning off the old deposits on the inside of the stove and I don't want to start adding the smell of burned petrochemicals...

I would remove the Clinker ring and then remove the top half of the burn pot and clean under
then scrap the top half of the burn pot to make sure no build up.
http://www.hearthtools.com/pellet/service_tips_and_trouble_shootin.htm

also sometimes the Whole burn put gets out of alignment. there are 3 bolt that hold the burn pot to the augert ube at the back bottom of the firebox.
the bolts are not going into a NUT they just Pressure fit against the auger tube. so the pot may be twisted sideways just a little

and before you ask sorry I do not have any parts for Pellet master that I can sell
the few I have left im keeping for my local service calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.