Squirrel 1440 Instal Complete

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Squirrel1410

May 16, 2017
Massachusetts
Hi everyone,

I finished this back in October, but never had a chance to post the end result. If you were on the forum in May or June, you may have seen my plans and questions I had.

Well here’s the end result, and I’m so happy with it. Turns out that this little squirrel WILL heat the house in 0 degree weather, provided I have enough wood to keep it cranking and close some doors upstairs in rooms not being used. So we could weather a long power outage and probably even keep the pipes from freezing in our little house.

I didn’t have enough wood this year, only enough to supplement heat - which is really all I wanted it for (and emergencies).

Thanks for all the help and info regarding heat shield and pad construction. I really learned a lot doing this.

And note, those stockings in that picture are just there for the photo - we took them down when the stove was in use.

8CF8322C-E6EA-43AC-9C61-23BFA8694493.jpeg 134D036D-5BBE-457A-8D59-1C1E03DF78F8.jpeg F8448DDC-9228-4899-832A-3DB8BD3232A6.jpeg 1EDCE3F7-64A0-4ECD-A7EC-13D475679524.jpeg 030AAF13-6B81-4D4D-A298-94A8514B5992.jpeg 56CEB9B8-86F9-4E2C-8842-4E9E3A60AE24.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful! That's a mighty throne for the little guy.

Sharp looking hearth.

Dude if I was you I would be happy too. Beautiful work. That kind of inspires me to do that if I will put a second stove in my rec room downstairs. Eh who am I kidding I probably will be too lazy to that.

Looks great. I am interested in a Morso 14410 or 1440 Squirrel.
How long can you burn for ?
Can you overnight burn?, well you know add some kindling in the morning and not use a match ?

How large is the area/home you are heating.

I'm interested for ambience and comfort and a little bit of supplemental heat.

Thanks for your posts.

Looks great. I am interested in a Morso 14410 or 1440 Squirrel.
How long can you burn for ?
Can you overnight burn?, well you know add some kindling in the morning and not use a match ?

How large is the area/home you are heating.

I'm interested for ambience and comfort and a little bit of supplemental heat.

Thanks for your posts.

Burn time depends on the type of wood. Maybe 4 hours with oak. It’s not an overnight burner unless you rig it up with coal grates for anthracite maybe. I haven’t tried that yet, but it might leave hot coals in the morning in that case.

Once I get it heated up and all the stone behind it, it throws off plenty of heat for most of the house. But my house is small (1300 sqft) and the stove is in the very center.

I did experiment using it for the only heat supply on a -1 degree day around New Years, and it kept most of the house around 65 if I closed off 2 of the bedrooms upstairs.

For ambiance and comfort you should be fine. I’ve had guests comment on just how much heat this little stove can put out. But you’ll have to cut your wood small. 10” is ideal, 11” will still fit, up to 12.5” will go diagonal.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Beautiful masonry work ! Really like split level chamfered stone work, and wood trim along the floor, and custom mantel. Looks like a real labor of love.
Morso is a fine stove.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Beautiful masonry work ! Really like split level chamfered stone work, and wood trim along the floor, and custom mantel. Looks like a real labor of love.
Morso is a fine stove.

Thanks! My mason friend gave me some tips. Had to make sure it was something I’d be happy with for the next 20 years.

I love the cat looking at the stove.

Great install. Congratulations.

Cute little bugger.

That is a beautiful setting for your Morso. I like the natural, raised hearth, though we have decided to go with a flush slate hearth. During the non-heating season, I don't want to trip over the edge of the hearth, so it will be flush with the hardwood in the rest of the room. We are doing stacked stone on the walls behind the stove however. It will be mounted in a corner.

Are those non-standard legs? They seem to be shorter.

I am about to order a Morso 1440 for the corner of the living room in our new house. Like others here have said, it is for ambiance, supplemental heat, and emergency heat. For the person asking about whether it can burn all night, etc, you are probably trying to do more with this stove than it was designed to do. This should be seen as supplemental heat only, unless you are really in a Tiny House.