St. Clair Stove & Range Product

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JEFalcsik

Jan 8, 2024
Irwin, PA
Greetings; I am new the the forum. I have this old combination wood or coal burning/gas cooktop stove with the "St. Clair Stove--Ranges" moniker on it. This was removed from a relatives home 25 years ago, and at that time It was hooked up to a natural gas line as there are four stove top burners with a manifold and valves. It has been in my garage since then waiting for a restoration. It seems to be intact and in decent shape, although it needs a good cleaning. I am interested in using this to take the chill out of my garage in the winter months. Would anyone with a similar stove know if this can this burn nut coal, or was this a wood-only stove? The firebox has heavy cast iron grates that can be shaken or "rolled" with a square socket tool or a crescent wrench.

IMG_4601.jpg IMG_4604.jpg IMG_4605.jpg IMG_4606.JPG

The riddling grates look like they are for shaking coal ash. Does it feed air under the fire?

Are there also air vents above the grates? If not, it sounds like a coal stove.

I will take a closer look this evening, but I do not think there are any adjustable vents above the grates. The vent pipe connects in the back of this rectangular fire box, with a vertically angled cast tube ending in an oval shape about 3" x 5". The only other openings above the grates are the removable round, flat, heavy plates that a pan or kettle would sit on. I am thinking you can add coal or wood through these plates as well. There is a second interior cast plate that closes up the hinged door that I took the photo of the grates through. It is not easy to get in and out of the opening, especially when hot, so I don't think is the primary access to tend the fire.

I will take a closer look this evening, but I do not think there are any adjustable vents above the grates. The vent pipe connects in the back of this rectangular fire box, with a vertically angled cast tube ending in an oval shape about 3" x 5". The only other openings above the grates are the removable round, flat, heavy plates that a pan or kettle would sit on. I am thinking you can add coal or wood through these plates as well. There is a second interior cast plate that closes up the hinged door that I took the photo of the grates through. It is not easy to get in and out of the opening, especially when hot, so I don't think is the primary access to tend the fire.

Here a couple of other pictures. Confirming no vents or dampers above the grates. The plates above the grates are all removable for access. The adjustable air vent is directly below the grates. Would there have been a removable pan or bin that the ash would fall into? It seems that would make ash disposal much simpler.

IMG_4612.jpeg IMG_4611.jpeg IMG_4615.jpeg IMG_4613.jpeg