St Croix "Auburn" not feeding pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dredge Rat

Feb 22, 2023
NE
I have a St Croix Auburn corn-pellet stove that I bought in 2005 and have been using pellets for around 15 years with no problem's with it feeding. This winter after start up the 1st of Nov. the auger quiet feeding the pellets the middle of Jan. Thinking it was the motor I ordered a new one and replaced it but still wouldn't turn so I searched and found this web site and found out it could be fines keeping the auger from working. I removed the auger assy and cleaned the fines & pellets out added a little grease on the upper shaft that goes into the bushing and replaced it. Yesterday it quite again same problem so I cleaned it out again and it started to feed like it should but during the night it quite again. When I had it out I noticed the end of the shaft that I had greased looked cruddy, otherwise could the diameter of the auger be worn enough allow the pellets and fines to stop the auger from turning? Also I have been using Heartland wood pellets out of South Dakota for years with NO problems but this year they seem to be softer and tend to break apart easier. Any ideas?

Which flash code do you get? # 2 or 3? If it is #2 that vac switch is dropping out typically do to a cleaning /air flow issue. If it #3 it is not sustaining a fire, typically from clogged feeder, auger motor issue.
#2 is more common. If that is the case do the leaf blower trick on the stove. The St Croix stoves have areas that you cant get to that the leaf blower will clear our. You Tube it. Just be sure to leave the door of the stove open to not damage the vac switch

Thanks for your response, I have not had any codes show up when the stove quite feeding so I took the motor and auger out and checked the auger shaft and found that the shaft end that connects to the motor was wore quit a bit as was the bronze bushing so am in the process of replacing the auger shaft plus the bronze bushing. The stove is 18 years old so I am assuming after that time it was time to replace those parts. When I get it back together I will check back as to if that was the problem.

Usually the top bushing takes a beating from the heat and starts to seize on the auger shaft. Lubing top and bottom bushings every several years keeps them happy, but it sounds like yours went 18 years. It's always a good idea to check auger to see if it spins freely once mounted and before auger motor is installed. Sometimes they bind up due to sensitivity to bottom auger plate/bushing position or nut torques.

Thanks for your response, I have not had any codes show up when the stove quite feeding so I took the motor and auger out and checked the auger shaft and found that the shaft end that connects to the motor was wore quit a bit as was the bronze bushing so am in the process of replacing the auger shaft plus the bronze bushing. The stove is 18 years old so I am assuming after that time it was time to replace those parts. When I get it back together I will check back as to if that was the problem.
Thats strange. If it shutsdown from lack of fuel or lack of air it typically gives a flashing # 2 or 3

Thats strange. If it shutsdown from lack of fuel or lack of air it typically gives a flashing # 2 or 3
It has always been on light# 1 with the green on light on and the auger light on every few seconds and then off again plus when the green light is on the motor cycles on but the auger does not turn. That's why I feel it probably is a auger & bushing situation.

If the auger motor turns when the green auger LED illuminates but auger shaft doesn't turn, the auger gearbox has stripped gears or the gearbox shaft is spinning within the auger shaft.

It has always been on light# 1 with the green on light on and the auger light on every few seconds and then off again plus when the green light is on the motor cycles on but the auger does not turn. That's why I feel it probably is a auger & bushing situation.
Ok, that makes sense now. I guess it is time to do a little more diag work to see if anything is turning when the light comes on. Typically if the bushing is stiff you will see the motor load up as it tries to turn.