ST CROIX BURNPOTS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get very few clinkers, and they don't stay long in the pot, so maybe that's why mine is still in good shape.

After giving it some thought, I wonder if the clinkers do their damage by inhibiting the airflow through the pot's holes. The airflow has the effect of cooling the metal, so blocked airflow would allow the temperature of the metal to increase, causing the damage.

Thoughts, anyone?

different parts of flame have different temps. I think it's more related to where the flame tips end up. I didn't think that the base of a flame was the hottest. LOL I vacuumed last nite (too lazy to go downstairs and get my eyephone) the whole front of the pot is stoved up. It's definitely heat related. This pot for some reason doesn't have alot of chlorides built up on it like previous one's have.

Sorry been out all day. Previous pots have always cracked around the igniter area then gotten worse. After they crack all the way the thing usually warps out bad.

This current burn pot is just plain warped from heat. The piece that sticks up in front of the flame is totally toasted. It's got 4-5 waves right across it and it's double thick there too. The whole burn pot is warped enough now that it's hard to get it in and out of the stove to clean it.

I'll take a pic of this the next time I clean it.

This used to get run wide open in the winter, last year it spent most of it's time on 4 which is still a very healthy/hot flame.

Have not had issues with the bottom versa grate. Just the burn pot surround.

I figured someone may have found a solution by now. Seriously doubt I'm burning asbestos. I think the guy was full of crap. Do you know how bad the penalty is for abating asbestos without a permit or releasing into a waste stream in Mass? YIKES man.
u may have too much draft in yer install...let me guess 8 inch liner?

6" not too much draft though I can close it right down or make it roar.

Cleaned this afternoon and took some pics.

924672EF-61A5-4B05-8715-EBEA9C48F83A-191-0000000C1FDD8697.jpg

DDBA8696-2262-402D-B80F-97A591E48CC3-191-0000000C1D515150.jpg

89A4979A-BBA1-4EE3-9027-8E064BCBDBC7-191-0000000C1AAEAFDA.jpg

62377455-B3E0-4315-B021-AD8BE9C8618A-191-0000000C15A9EC15.jpg

You can see the area around the igniter is not only cracked but about 1/2 thickness of normal already. I got this pot last winter around Feb or March. The top is so bent it's gone. The pot gets stuck in the slot it drops down into because it's out of square.

okies did that

Mine in the York is 8 or 9 years old and looks fine?

That is your pot after cleaning?

Why is there that white crap there? That looks like a chloride build up..

Also what is the air hole configuration around the igniter hole when the pot is new? .

It looks to me like the stove was in a reducing burn (aka a charcoal fire, improper air/fuel mixture, excess ash buildup).

That poor burn pot.

The white stuff covers the whole pot. In the third pic down those scrape marks are what the cheeta vac does any ash that sticks to the inside of the pot. Burn holes around the igniter are all good except for that hole that is by itself. The whole area around the igniter will look like that soon and it will just disappear. The discolored round area is already 1/2 metal thickness.

That poor burn pot has kept me toasty warm all year :)

OK, salty, first I'd do a much better job on keeping those air holes full size you are impacting the amount of air reaching the pellets and thus slowing the burn down and increasing the temperature in the burn pot. If the fire gets past a certain temperature it will have expanded the metal enough to break spot welds, cause deflection to occur around larger holes and cracks at weak spots.

And yes a reducing burn can keep you warm while it is destroying your burn pot.

I use the awl tool in my leatherman about once a month to clean all the holes to original size. Yea it's probably due..

WOW! That's what the pot looks like just since last Feb.???? Something seriously wrong with the stove or the pot design or something....that's terrible.

IMO, you need to bite the bullet and have a good stainless one Tig welded up like I suggested a while back. I'm sure Mike H at Englander can give you the specs on the best type of stainless to use.

hahahahahaha down boy down

I may look at having the pieces laser cut. I have a 14 ton punch press that I could probably set a 1/8 punch up in it..should be enough tonnage to punch that stuff I'd think.

Is there a call for these I can't believe I'm the only one who has this problem when the dealer stocks them 3 at a time.

I'm on my third season with mine (bought it used, but it had a new pot in it), and it looks good as new.

Status
Not open for further replies.