St Croix hastings firing issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ifonly2005

Dec 24, 2022
New Hampshire
Cleaned my stove yesterday. Turned it in tonight. It cycled .... Delivered pellets .. but didn't fire. Just smoked and poured smoke into the house. Opened door and vacd the smoke. Fire started. Eventually it faulted out in pof. Im assuming it's an air issue either on inlet or outlet. Ran fine last night after cleaning. Any ideas?

Cleaned my stove yesterday. Turned it in tonight. It cycled .... Delivered pellets .. but didn't fire. Just smoked and poured smoke into the house. Opened door and vacd the smoke. Fire started. Eventually it faulted out in pof. Im assuming it's an air issue either on inlet or outlet. Ran fine last night after cleaning. Any ideas?
if you light it manually will it go? thinking maybe it took too long to fire up. maybe igniter is dirty?

The combustion fan should have cleared the smoke !
You cleaned the stove did you do the exhaust channels to the chimney and also the chimney?
Do you have an OAK installed? If so is it clear ( snow blocking the inlet)

St Croix stoves really need the "Leaf blower trick" to clean the areas that are not accessible. Look it up on Youtube. It is a game changer for St Croix stoves

Reactions: Mt Bob
St Croix stoves really need the "Leaf blower trick" to clean the areas that are not accessible. Look it up on Youtube. It is a game changer for St Croix stoves
Yep,I agree. They slowly continue to build up crap in the passages, just like Breckwells do. Some Enviros,also. A mallet is also good to have/use.

So the stove is "new to me" I didn't realize that it didn't come with the ash trap covers. All the crud that got back there blocked the inlet air so there was no way for the fire to start. I cleaned it all out and since then the ash has looked more like sand than the black soot. It's burning better than ever. Covers are on the way in the mail.

Ah. Then,as you probably have no way to do the leaf blower trick, you may want to consider ordering a gasket, remove exhaust blower, run wire through all the passages, even smack inside,back of fire box with a mallet or block of wood, vacuum well. I mean remove the exhaust blower, housing and all. And, on that stove, hope you have the fire brick panels.

Ah. Then,as you probably have no way to do the leaf blower trick, you may want to consider ordering a gasket, remove exhaust blower, run wire through all the passages, even smack inside,back of fire box with a mallet or block of wood, vacuum well. I mean remove the exhaust blower, housing and all. And, on that stove, hope you have the fire brick panels.
That's all been done. And I do the leaf trick atleast once a week and do a basic interior clean every day before startup.