St. Croix Hastings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
Hi. New to the forum here. Great source. I'm recently bought my 2nd home. My first home was very small (800 sq. feet) and we had a Quadrafire pellet stove which worked fine for that house.

Now, I'm in a larger 1400 sq. foot split level home. We spend most of our time on the main level where we currently have a corner free standing fireplace. I want to replace that with a pellet stove, and I was looking at the St. Croix Hasting model. I can get a really good deal on one for about $2200. My concern is this will be going in the main living room where we spend most of our time watching TV. I've heard that this can be a loud unit. I'm wondering how loud it may be? In my old house, the quadrafire never went above the low setting, plus it was in another room, so the noise didn't bother me. I'm just wondering how much this unit will bother me since it will only be about 10 feet from my couch. Unfortunately my dealer doesn't have one hooked up, so I'm unable to test it, but I don't want to pass up this deal. The person who ordered it had to cancel, so he's giving me about $500 off. My other option was an Avalon newport, but it was closer to $3000.

Suggestions? Thanks.

We have friends who have a St. Croix and the husband complains about the noise. His wife, on the other hand, doesn't mind it. They have it in a finished basement where they play cards with friends. It seems that the men complain about the sound more than the women do! To me it's about equal to a hair dryer on a high setting (at its loudest). I didn't find it too loud, nor did my husband. There is, of course, the tink, tink sound of the pellets feeding in, but - all in all - nothing too loud, in our opinion. Of course it all depends upon your sensitivity to noise. I taught 5th grade for 30+ years, so I can tune out anything! :lol:

I guess I'm more concerned about the auger noise. My last stove in my old house was a Quadrafire, and you could distincly hear each time the auger turned to drop pellets. The stove was always on low, and the fan didn't bother me. I don't see me using the St. Croix much higher than at a medium setting. Most likely usually low, so I don't think the fan will be an issue. Like I said, the auger turning is a concern, and the versa grate system is also a concern. A constantly moving part like that scares me. Plus the fact that it will be in my main living room where we spend most of our time.

Status
Not open for further replies.