St Croix part

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FishHarder

Mar 1, 2015
PA
Have an old st Croix. It's missing the fake ceramic brick back plates. Does it matter that they are gone. Could I just put ceramic tile in its place. Would it help direct heat up towards the tubes better?

Yes it matters. Need to be in place to keep the burn pot to temp and to keep the stove body and hopper cool.

Its made and fitted for the stove. Its fire in your home. Please don't try and cut corners.

Reactions: bcarton
The old St. Croix's had ceramic plates? My former Hastings just had thin metal plates that were optional (or at least that was my understanding - the previous owner had them, so I used them). Just asking because it is an interesting bit of trivia, not that I am arguing either way ;)

I would still see about getting the proper part. I have a couple stoves that use metal plates and the Bixby is critical for proper circulation of exhaust over the exchanger. Have a little known Hestia that heats the garage shop and it to has metal plates for moving the exhaust over the vertical exchanger tubes.

What model is it? Or can you post a picture? All the St. Croix were all common guts w/ 3 different bodies. (non-auto ignition). There was a ceramic fake brick kit available for looks that they changed to a sheet metal w/ brick shapes cut into it. If you can give a little more info or some pics it would be more helpful

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.