St Croix Prescott EXL self install - Don't try this at home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tj11

Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2008
Franklin County NY
Self installed St Croix Prescott EXL. Built homemade hearth pad(only part of install that went without a hitch) Self-installed thermostat,during which I drilled through an electrical wire. Tore out the wall and replaced the wire. Self installed vent kit and OAK. Got the kit from my dealer. Drilled hole in wall and through cinder blocks. Installed the thimble only to find he gave a 4" thimble instead of a 3". Returned to dealer 25 miles away while there was a gaping hole in my house. Versa grate wasn't working, due to being loose. Put back in place and tightend the screws.Stove kept tripping the high temp switch. Upon investigating found the convection fan(room fan) wasn't working. Tested for voltage at control board. was ok. tested at connection. was ok. Pulled the convection fan and direct wired it. The motor was getting warm so there was power. Took apart and found the intruder, some type of debris was jammed. Re-installed fan. Now I have a working pellet stove! Maybe I should have paid for that install after all.

Attachments

• St Croix Prescott EXL self install - Don't try this at home
    hhh.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 454
Glad to hear you won your battle with the installation.
Now you can relax and enjoy the heat that puppy will make!

Hate to hear of all the trouble, but turned out great. One of..if not the best looking hearth pad I have seen yet. Great Job

Catfishjack said:
it's over now..and look what you got!! Plus you learned a lot of good info in regards to to your stove...

I agree 100%. You learned a lot of what to do, and what NOT to do again, and did a nice job in the end. It looks great!

I'll bet that after the winter is over, you'll look back and think about the nice heat and the $$ hopefully you saved and think to yourself "aw, that install wasn't all that bad"

Glad to hear the fiasco is over. Great job
on the install and I'm lovin that custom
built raised hearth. Stay warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.