St Croix scf 050 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fibersport

Feb 7, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
Picked up a used SCF 050 Sunday for my pole barn and am in the process of cleaning it up. I noticed that it is missing two of the cleanout covers, the one behind the ash pan and one next to the burn pot. I have a real dumb question; how do these covers fit? There seems to be screw holes on the ones next to the burn pot but nothing for the one behind the ash pan. Are these covers supposed to be tight or are they a little loose? I have found replacements but is it that critical that they be original - couldn't a piece of flat steel screwed in place be OK?

On my Afton Bay: I don't have the removable cover behind the ash bin; my stove predates them. The two that are on each side of the burn pot just fit into slots in the stove, and hang against the sheet metal. They apparently seal well enough, as long as they aren't bent.

You could screw covers over the holes, but that makes cleaning less convenient. Those are the areas that are important to keep the ash out of, as they are exhaust passages. Removing a couple of screws to do your cleaning isn't all that difficult, really.

You're welcome. Happy Burning!