Stack wood in barn hay loft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catfish Hunter

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2016
Western Wisconsin
Anyone use an old barn hay loft to stack firewood to dry? I've got a huge old barn with plenty of room but didn't know if ants or bugs or other problems could happen if I start drying firewood in the barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as your barn has good airflow I guess. If not your just creating a big moist environment. Hay doesn't go into the loft until its seasoned. Wood probably shouldn't either you'll rot the building

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Reactions: TreePointer
keep it outside all year in my opinion. I have a bunch stacked inside my shed and all it does is take up room and hold up the seasoning process. The other 95% of the wood stacked outside does much better. As others have said, it needs airflow and sunlight and perhaps a tarp or some other type of roof.

Won't that be a lot of extra work hauling it up into and then again down out of the loft when it comes time to burn it?

Unless you stacked on pallets and had a forklift. Which I must admit would be pretty cool.

Pallets + fork lift + loft lift + other fork lift in the loft... many barns have an exterior pulley beam/lift

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Won't that be a lot of extra work hauling it up into and then again down out of the loft when it comes time to burn it?

The bigger problem with putting wood in the hay loft is that it makes the loft less suitable for an impromptu romp in the hay! :)

Reactions: Catfish Hunter
I have a big door at ground level so not much additional work. The siding is slotted boards so good air flow. I think I may try the outside holzhausen instead.

What is the floor rated for?

What is the floor rated for?

No idea. Seems to handle a load pretty well. I'm drying lumber in there now stacked 6' high and it didn't cause any issue or beam sagging at all below. But good thought. I don't even know how to find out

I can't imagine any issue. I would split it. By doing that I'm able to find any ants. Now bug free stack the green wood in the hot loft. It's going to dry the wood real quick. Not the same bailing wet hay.

Reactions: Catfish Hunter
I have mine in my barn on pallets on the lower level. Plenty of air flow, works very well. I would be very weary of putting it in the loft. That is a lot of weight, especially if its oak or one of the heavier woods.

Reactions: Jeffm1
I have mine in my barn on pallets on the lower level. Plenty of air flow, works very well. I would be very weary of putting it in the loft. That is a lot of weight, especially if its oak or one of the heavier woods.

My first thought when I saw the post. I have fallen through a loft or too in my time.

My first thought when I saw the post. I have fallen through a loft or too in my time.

It's a pretty sturdy floor with two layers of rough sawn oak on hewn beams from the 20s. However you guys are right that I should be leery of floor weight. I think I will try some wood up there and see how it goes. I do stack lumber in there to dry and it didn't even move that floor at all it was all oak and maple freshly sawed stacked up 6'.

We've had 12+ tons of hay in our loft with no problem, all depends on the construction.