Stacked stone over wood fireplace vents?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fmlizard

Oct 9, 2017
Chicago

I'm planning to cover over the area around my fireplace, in the white/gray stacked stone (real stone veneer) you can see in the periphery of the photo. To do so, I'm removing that dark slate tile around it as well.

My main question is what to do with the two vents above and below my fireplace insert. It's a generic woodburning fireplace insert circa 1991. There is currently no blower installed and no switch I can find to control one. From what I have gathered, that makes my vents useless at best and a source of drafts at worst. I also want the clean look of no vents and the stone going up to the edges of my fireplace opening.

My main concern with covering over the vents would be fire hazard. I see tons of fireplaces that don't have big vents above and below, and I've got a proper chimney. But am I creating risk by sealing off those vents with mortar and stone?

If I did want to get a blower installed and make my vents useful, what would the cost be, roughly? Is it worth doing?

Thanks in advance!

No, the vents can not be blocked. One option would be to replace the current grey stone surround with the stacked stone.

FWIW, the current look is not bad IMO.

The vents must remain unobstructed. These vents allow cool air to circulate around the firebox. The units you are seeing with stone right up to the opening don’t have louvers. They are higher end fireplaces typically. The blowers do nothing but make noise, don’t waste your money on that.

Maybe just picture frame the current surround stove with strips of a contrasting stone to visually tie it in?