Stacking round piles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Our wood barn shingles must be close to 100 years old and they started going bad about 10 years ago. The house was built in 1860, so if the barn is anywhere near that, it's probably been redone once, so maybe 80 years?
If the quality these days is still the same as back then...

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I did one of those a few years ago when I had enough wood that it wouldn’t all fit in my shed. Figure if stuck looking at a pile of firewood for 3 years, may as well make it look interesting. Upside is they are easy to mow around.
Downside for me was it didn’t dry to my liking. but then again I didn’t tarp it, was in the shade, and the ground squirrels and what not left the shells and cones from their dinners on them also getting wet.
I ended up restacking in my wood shed.

A friend told me about piling this way, so I’m trying it out

4FCB0BA3-8F2B-4490-85C5-7E907264A24B.jpeg 969741DD-AF15-4594-98F1-5224A67ABB1C.jpeg

Reactions: Vg3200p
I'd be very hesitant; water can stand on the cut surfaces there. Or in between two cut surfaces. Recipe for rot imo.
Holzhausen have the splits laying horizontally.

Ah true. I had to Google pics of holz hausen to remember exactly what they look like.

I’m sure people dried firewood back before they had tarps and woodsheds, but now we have tarps and woodsheds :)