Staging wood next to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we can't all have nice classy looking setups so I guess I'll go ahead and lower the bar a little bit.
I can stash a weeks worth of wood (even for this hungry beast) next to the stove, and I bring it in using recycling bins. They don't shatter if you drop them while frozen ;)

Attachments

• S6300058.jpg
    S6300058.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 316
I do he Rubbermaid thing, too. I have a small one for all of my super cedars broken up into 4's, a medium sized one for my kindling, a large one for medium sized splits and and larger one for regular splits. (with some Busch Light bottles on top!)

This is my man cave, keep in mind, so no, i do not have 4 rubbermaid bins lined up in my living room or anything!! I mean, whats "manlier" than rubbermaid bins full of wood burning things and busch light bottles???

tamarack said:
My dad made this box as a Christmas gift a few years back. Yep - some of those skis are my old ones.
I've had a few friends wanting to hire my dad to build them something similar.

Its full of tamarack & birch now.

Nice! Is the deer paint, an inlay, or burned on?

I brought my wood ring inside this year, and have it positioned around a quick corner from the PE. I put a cheapo throw rug under it, and an under the bed plastic box from Wally world under the rack. So far so good.

I also have my vortex totes, which work really well for us. Gonna get 2 more @ Equine Affair next weekend :)

Very timely post as I have been trying to figure this out. I used to stack in on the stone hearth, but the 30 sticks out too far for that. I've been piling wood on a tarp. Ugly. I did see the racks at biglots. I also have a wooden box, and old toy chest, I could use but I want to put a lot of wood inside.

Fod01 said:
tamarack said:
My dad made this box as a Christmas gift a few years back. Yep - some of those skis are my old ones.

Nice! Is the deer paint, an inlay, or burned on?

The deer is steel. laser cut I guess. I think he bought it off ebay.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Very timely post as I have been trying to figure this out. I used to stack in on the stone hearth, but the 30 sticks out too far for that. I've been piling wood on a tarp. Ugly. I did see the racks at biglots. I also have a wooden box, and old toy chest, I could use but I want to put a lot of wood inside.

You might want to check out the Stack-it Brackets. I built mine so that it's 2' high and 3' long, small enough to fit unobtrusively beneath a window, but holds a five-day supply of wood in our climate. It's heavy enough (loaded) to stack a couple of sled-loads of birch against one end of it, for a total of about 15 cf of wood. And allows for air circulation. Some people paint the 2x4's black to match the brackets, but the sky's the limit. Well, not literally. But it works pretty dang well.

raiderfan said:
I mean, whats "manlier" than rubbermaid bins full of wood burning things and busch light bottles???

What's manlier? Busch Light tall boys.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I brought my wood ring inside this year, and have it positioned around a quick corner from the PE. I put a cheapo throw rug under it, and an under the bed plastic box from Wally world under the rack. So far so good.

I also have my vortex totes, which work really well for us. Gonna get 2 more @ Equine Affair next weekend :)

Come over here an talk to my wife. She's giving me grief about keeping ANY wood in the house!

+1 for rubbermaid. got 1 in pink (wife's fave colour) ;)

Seems to me that lots of the closed containers make you miss out on one of the major benefits of indoor supply- significant final drying of the wood.
I've found that any wood benefits from as much drying as can possibly be inflicted on it. It lights and settles down to steady-state burn more quickly, the drier it gets, no matter the anecdotal evidence of some folks here to the contrary. The quick light-off also avoids the exhaust particulates that result from cracked-open door used as an accelerant. IOW, Win-Win-Win.

CTYank said:
Seems to me that lots of the closed containers make you miss out on one of the major benefits of indoor supply- significant final drying of the wood.
I've found that any wood benefits from as much drying as can possibly be inflicted on it. It lights and settles down to steady-state burn more quickly, the drier it gets, no matter the anecdotal evidence of some folks here to the contrary. The quick light-off also avoids the exhaust particulates that result from cracked-open door used as an accelerant. IOW, Win-Win-Win.

While there may be some extra drying by the time I get the wood inside just from being in the dry air and relatively close to the woodstove . . . my wood has sat outside for a year and then sat inside the ventilated woodshed for another year+ before it even gets inside . . . being inside a woodbox doesn't really impede things too much in terms of moisture.

I just built this recently and loaded it up over the weekend.

Looking forward to burning this season.

Attachments

• fullrack.jpg
    fullrack.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 138
tamarack said:

dude that is wicked cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.