Stainless Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabby

Nov 13, 2007
Ohio
I have a question for all those who have stainless chimneys. Last winter i cleaned my chimney 3 times with a steel brush. I have a Stainless Flex liner and the box said it was safe for Stainless. But at work we weld stainless pipe and we deber the welds with wire wheels, when the pipes site out side and rains or snows it surface rusts on the stainless. I just recently purchased a poly brush to clean my chimney this weekend. I was wondering if you think i hurt my chimney after cleaning only three times. My black stove pipe in the basement has a surface rust on it from sitting over the summer, i think the basement may have little moisture in the air down in the basement. I just wanted to know your thoughts on my situation. Thanks

Even if you did some harm, it can't be undone. There are differences of thought. Some say just use a wire brush and other say poly. For my money, it was not worth the gamble so I bought the poly and will use that only.

You should be able to get that rust off the black pipe okay. Try fine steel wool or fine emery or even crocus cloth.

Do a search for "chimney cleaning" or some variation on this site, and you'll get tons of hits. You'll find plenty of debate on the subject there. I agree that "if" any damage was done, it's already done, so don't worry about it. If you are still going to lose any sleep, go get a poly brush for $7 and go from there.

What you have is a stainless steel liner, not a stainless steel chimney. The liner is not close to the thickness of chimney. I would use a poly brush. Hopefully there is no damage done and unless you brushed the liner aggressively, you probably are ok.

Well I did state i have a chimney liner and that i bought a poly brush for this year. Thanks for the replies, and yes your right the damage is done now, and no i won't lose sleep over it. I just need to see if it was possible to hurt the liner, i have looked and asked around and it's pretty much 50/50. I just wanted to see if anyone has had problems yet.

I doubt you'll do any damage using a steel brush, you would have to really work that brush for a long time for it to do any significant damage. Thinking back to how hard it is to drill or even start a cut with a semi-dull hacksaw, I'm sure you're fine.

That surface rust you see on your stainless workpieces outside is just that, surface. Residual steel from your wire wheels rusting and discoloring things, not any actual damage to the stainless itself. Cosmetic. So I would look at it this way, you may now have Cosmetic Discoloration on the inside of your chimney liner. Hopefully you are not one to lose sleep over what color lies under the soot inside your chimney...

Eddy

I see what your saying. Heck no, I am not going to lose any sleep over that. I was just worried about the liner, it's to expensive to mess up. That's what I was worried about. Thanks for the reply. You explained that real well and makes alot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.