stainless firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is there a wood gasification log boiler manufacture who builds their primary firebox out of stainless steel?

HeatMaster is all 409 stainless, firebox, water jacket, tubes, doors, etc.

Is it because you don't want corrosion? Do you think SS can crack?

I can remember the stainless v. mild steel debate being hotly debated for quite some time.
What I've seen- most of the outdoor style wood boiler manufacturers were either using 409 SS to start with or moved that way in the last few years. Mild steel is used for some in the outer water jacket where it doesn't contact the creosote/moisture in the firebox and flues.
304 SS has been mostly dropped as it expands more and can crack. 409 expands similarly to steel.
Someone feel free to correct me, I'm just thinking through the wood boilers we have down here in VA.

I recently bought a Polar G-class they are using 304 SS for the firebox 3/16 thick.

All research that I have done, being that I previously owned a Heatmaster... I noticed most boilers made with 409ss are only 1/8 = 2/16. Maybe @E Yoder can confirm?

Also 304ss is more costly but comes with it's advantages. It's non-ferromagnetic very good corrosion resistance (no pitting). You can google some pictures to see for yourself.

It is true 304ss has higher thermal expansion, but that's at extremely high temperatures. (Easy to confirm through Coefficient of Thermal Expansion.)
The firebox doesn't burn wood in the upper chamber... the refractory brick underneath is where the intense flame takes place with all of the heat.

Both boilers are good just thought I'd clear that up, as I had the same thoughts before looking into it.

I know Lamppa uses 304 SS and 310 SS for all the parts -inside- their firebox and even has spots where the 304 is welded to mild steel (the lower back wall).

Some old photos of my 2014 model when new.

Top of firebox, all 310SS:
IMG_0901.JPG

Front wall directly under loading door. Shown is 304, but they started using even thicker 310SS a few years ago I guess :
IMG_0898.JPG

Granted this is not a boiler and doesn't have to store water, but where the 304SS pieces are in the upper chamber of the firebox are where some of the highest temps are in this furnace as that's where the majority of the gasses are being burned at.

You are correct, Heatmaster uses 10 g. 409 approx 1/8”.
My experience with 304 was with the Hardy units which I think was 14g, quite thin and tended to crack. Polar sounds like a different animal.

Reactions: Case1030
Same for my E100. Center brick "nozzle" refractory needs to be replaced about every 2.5 years, failry easy job.

I would wonder if they are making stainless fireboxes bigger, or thinner to offset the low thermal conductivity?

304 Stainless 14 W/m K
490 Stainless 25 W/m K

Low carbon steel 66+ W/m K
(Lower carbon= higher)

Iron = 70+ W/m K

Reactions: Case1030
Mild steel is typically ¼, 409 is typically 1/8” to compensate.

Econoburn 200
1/4" ASME Grade 36 Carbon steel
13 years firebox like new
25 year warranty

Econoburn 200
1/4" ASME Grade 36 Carbon steel
13 years firebox like new
25 year warranty

Do you have your system pressurized? Also batch burning helps.

Do you have your system pressurized? Also batch burning helps.
Yes 1000 gallons storage,preasurized,it's a boiler not a water heater.

Reactions: Firefighter44