Stainless Steel Liner Installment Gone Wrong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JPKennedy18

Nov 23, 2022
Maine
Hello,

Looking for some help on how stainless steel liner should be installed. I had a installer come out and perform the work, but when putting the stove pipe on it was put with the male ends facing down so I had questions about the rest of the installation. I took stove pipe apart to ensure running the correct way and noticed there was not a tee cap put on the end of the tee. Installer said this was for easy clean out. After reading on this site I realized this is incorrect, even if convenient. I then had a chimney sweep come as I no longer trusted installer and sweep said is his report "The liner does not extend to the base of the chimney and there is no bottom cap at the base of the tee. The thimble is not cemented in. It does not appear that there is the proper insulation installed around the liner. This can all contribute to poor draft and be a potential fire hazard. This does not meet building code." Stated the job would need to be re-done.

Background about wood stove/chimney: Built in Maine 1997 with clay lining, receive word that it was cracked after inspection/clean, told to get stainless steel liner. Chimney cleanout is in the basement, wood stove little moe all nighter is on first floor sitting on brick, with chimney then extending up through middle of living room with high ceilings/beams then through attic then roof. I sleep on second floor with staircase that goes up behind chimney that leads to a room almost like a loft where I can look down on the stove. Boiler is in basement and runs on other flue in chimney.

Can anyone answer how proper installation/insulation should be completed? I want to instruct the installer to come back and complete correctly with information from sweep but am not sure what is best and make sure done correctly, as no longer fully trust work being done. Does the liner need to run to the basement clean out, then cap installed there? Does the clay flue need to be taken out if cracked before liner & insulation put in? Included photo of cracked flue. Thank you.

cracked flue .jpg

when putting the stove pipe on it was put with the male ends facing down
That is correct.
Does the liner need to run to the basement clean out, then cap installed there?
That's what I did...added a "leg" of liner to the bottom of the tee, and put the cap on the bottom...then I have 2 bricks that I slide under the cap to keep it up on.
Does the clay flue need to be taken out if cracked before liner & insulation put in? Included photo of cracked flue. Thank you.
Only if needed to be able to make the liner with insulation fit.

Hello,

Looking for some help on how stainless steel liner should be installed. I had a installer come out and perform the work, but when putting the stove pipe on it was put with the male ends facing down so I had questions about the rest of the installation. I took stove pipe apart to ensure running the correct way and noticed there was not a tee cap put on the end of the tee. Installer said this was for easy clean out. After reading on this site I realized this is incorrect, even if convenient. I then had a chimney sweep come as I no longer trusted installer and sweep said is his report "The liner does not extend to the base of the chimney and there is no bottom cap at the base of the tee. The thimble is not cemented in. It does not appear that there is the proper insulation installed around the liner. This can all contribute to poor draft and be a potential fire hazard. This does not meet building code." Stated the job would need to be re-done.

Background about wood stove/chimney: Built in Maine 1997 with clay lining, receive word that it was cracked after inspection/clean, told to get stainless steel liner. Chimney cleanout is in the basement, wood stove little moe all nighter is on first floor sitting on brick, with chimney then extending up through middle of living room with high ceilings/beams then through attic then roof. I sleep on second floor with staircase that goes up behind chimney that leads to a room almost like a loft where I can look down on the stove. Boiler is in basement and runs on other flue in chimney.

Can anyone answer how proper installation/insulation should be completed? I want to instruct the installer to come back and complete correctly with information from sweep but am not sure what is best and make sure done correctly, as no longer fully trust work being done. Does the liner need to run to the basement clean out, then cap installed there? Does the clay flue need to be taken out if cracked before liner & insulation put in? Included photo of cracked flue. Thank you.

View attachment 304699
Yes at minimum it should have a tee cap. But is much better if it's run down to the cleanout. I use a second tee there to make it easier to service.

The clay liners don't need to come out as long as there is room for insulation yours looks like an oval would fit. But I would probably remove the clay if I were doing the job

Yes at minimum it should have a tee cap. But is much better if it's run down to the cleanout. I use a second tee there to make it easier to service.

The liners don't need to come out as long as there is room for insulation yours looks like an oval would fit. But I would probably remove the clay if I were doing the job
Currently there is a 6 inch circular stainless steel liner in there, not an oval. How do you recommend adding a leg to the liner running to the clean out without taking the liner out? How do you recommend getting insulation wrapped around the liner? Or do you suggest a type of pour in insulation? Thanks.

Currently there is a 6 inch circular stainless steel liner in there, not an oval. How do you recommend adding a leg to the liner running to the clean out without taking the liner out? How do you recommend getting insulation wrapped around the liner? Or do you suggest a type of pour in insulation? Thanks.
You can't do either without pulling it. You don't have room for wrap or pour in on a round 6" liner in an 8x12 clay liner. It needs to be oval or liners removed