Starlink

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Anyone using Star link internet?
In the US or Canada
Is it worth the money to get up and operating?
How do you like it?

It's showing up more locally. Here is an earlier thread on the topic.

Been trying to get it ever since you could plug your address in last year. Some areas are beta, some aren't yet. A few miles down the road you can get a dish, but I can't yet. Lots of chatter about this stuff on reddit.

There are more than a few people here using it in rural areas now, speed over 100 mbits/second, and latency less than 50ms. Most are reporting very little down time throughout the day.

The big issue I'm hearing now is the wait time for the receivers, many people are into the 2 month mark since order and still don't know when their receivers will ship.

Update
signed up for the Beta test 4 months ago
Got an email last Monday that I have been accepted
dish kit arrived Friday. the hardest part of the set
up was getting the wire into this old log house
Compared to Ma Bell hi speed let's say no comparison
Ma Bell 5 mps on my line
Star link 140 + mps
very happy

Update
signed up for the Beta test 4 months ago
Got an email last Monday that I have been accepted
dish kit arrived Friday. the hardest part of the set
up was getting the wire into this old log house
Compared to Ma Bell hi speed let's say no comparison
Ma Bell 5 mps on my line
Star link 140 + mps
very happy

Welcome to the 21st century Johneh! Mine is still working well, even through heavy clouds and snow. Ours is in a clearing but I’ll be moving it to the roof soon.

This puts me in a bind. The local DSL has just been run close enough to my house that we can get it now. SO... do I just hook up to that or do I get Starlink. Monthly cost is close enough that it's not a factor. Initial fee is more for starlink. From what the landline people are telling me, I will have the potential for 35 mps, but more realistically 15, which I have been told is plenty to stream. Weighing my options.

Before I got Starlink I was with the main or should I say the only landline company here
They offered me what they call lite fibe up to 20 mbs in reality the best they could give
me was 3.8 mps. After much discussion, they jacked it up to 5 mbs
Moving to Starlink was a no brainer right now I am getting 135 mbs
Now they load pages before I even know I want to see that page (LOL)

Reactions: festerw
This puts me in a bind. The local DSL has just been run close enough to my house that we can get it now. SO... do I just hook up to that or do I get Starlink. Monthly cost is close enough that it's not a factor. Initial fee is more for starlink. From what the landline people are telling me, I will have the potential for 35 mps, but more realistically 15, which I have been told is plenty to stream. Weighing my options.

15 'works' but it's not ideal. Especially if you're streaming on more than one device or using the connection otherwise.

T-Mobile and Verizon also have 4G LTE Internet out there. If it's available in your area that will get you close to 50 typically. Both are about $60/month and include the equipment.

Looks like I have to wait until the end of the year. My DSL has no contract so I'll give it a try and if its no good, ill upgrade then.