Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Eyyyyy. Welcome to the SBI family. Now you can slowly convert her to a wood heat addict. Play they long game.

Reactions: Ashful
What changed with your wife's position on not getting the Insert?
She wanted to still have fires in the house. I told her without rebuilding the chimney, the cheapest and safest way to do it is an insert with its own liner (which is the truth). She says that “we’re not using it for heating” just fires. But I think she’ll have a change of heart once she sees it working and feels the warmth.

Reactions: bigealta and EbS-P
She wanted to still have fires in the house. I told her without rebuilding the chimney, the cheapest and safest way to do it is an insert with its own liner (which is the truth). She says that “we’re not using it for heating” just fires. But I think she’ll have a change of heart once she sees it working and feels the warmth.
This thread has gotten too long for me to want to go back and actually check, but I think I already shared the story of my wife warming her posterior to the point of causing skin discoloration. I still catch her at least once or twice everyday, standing in front of the stove, with her back-side not 12 inches from the glass. She also exercises the hell out of the car's heated seats, women seem to like warm butts.

Point is, get that thing up and running, and nature may take its course in your favor.

A bit of advice, from someone who's already pushed the envelope on marital tranquility about as far as it can stretch, make the work of harvesting and processing wood a total non-issue. If Saturdays are spent out processing firewood while she's running kids to karate and soccer practice, resentment may result. Find a way to make that activity take minimal time, and never interfere with family priorities.

Tell her it’s her job to open the window every time a fire is lit and close it;)

• Haha
Reactions: MRD1985
This thread has gotten too long for me to want to go back and actually check, but I think I already shared the story of my wife warming her posterior to the point of causing skin discoloration. I still catch her at least once or twice everyday, standing in front of the stove, with her back-side not 12 inches from the glass. She also exercises the hell out of the car's heated seats, women seem to like warm butts.

Point is, get that thing up and running, and nature may take its course in your favor.

A bit of advice, from someone who's already pushed the envelope on marital tranquility about as far as it can stretch, make the work of harvesting and processing wood a total non-issue. If Saturdays are spent out processing firewood while she's running kids to karate and soccer practice, resentment may result. Find a way to make that activity take minimal time, and never interfere with family priorities.

Firewood processing would be done on my own time when no one is home. I have an average of 3 days during the week to my self with no one home from 8-4. So works out well! Going to pick up a few more cords of wood to start seasoning

Reactions: bigealta and EbS-P
Firewood processing would be done on my own time when no one is home. I have an average of 3 days during the week to my self with no one home from 8-4. So works out well! Going to pick up a few more cords of wood to start seasoning
Good thing I didn't come take half your wood lol.

Good thing I didn't come take half your wood lol.

I caught an earful for almost getting rid of it out from under her! Told her you might be coming to get it because there’s no point in having that much valuable firewood if we can’t use it so might as well get rid of it. That was a turning point. That’s when I figured out she actually did want a working “fireplace”. Told me “I’ll have it fixed insert or not when we get divorced and I’ll use that wood” 🤣🤣🤣. Things have cooled off since that conversation thankfully.

Lots of D talk. And not the good kind.
She has frequently thrown that word around during heated discussions for years . At this point just empty threats i let in one ear and out the other 🤷🏻‍♂️

It worked out. You keep your wood/ wife and get a stove. I got logs delivered. Everyone is happy.

Except her. She sounds rarely happy. But perhaps a stove will change that.

Inasmuch as it's fun to gripe and commiserate about our wives, do remember a surprising number of members of this forum are the wives, present or former. Mind your tongues, boys!

But I do agree with @Slimdusty, this has been an entertaining one. Now... let the install begin!

Ordered my Drolet 1800 insert along with a fireside fire flex 316 SS pre insulated liner kit tonight. I’ll post photos of installation process once it comes in. Thank you all.
It’s a decent unit. Fan cord can be swapped if you are comfortable wiring. Marketing marks on the air control rod so you can see more easily what position it is in has been helpful.

It’s a decent unit. Fan cord can be swapped if you are comfortable wiring. Marketing marks on the air control rod so you can see more easily what position it is in has been helpful.

Is there an issue with the factory cord? I have no issue wiring anything. I’ll put marks on airflow control that’s a good idea. Thanks!

While I sympathize for the OP, this thread is hilarious
It’s even more hilarious that when we were lying in bed last night and she says so should you sign a contract or something that you won’t be using this for heating our house and if you do you’re moving it with your mother . Lmao.

• Haha
Sawoo
Is there an issue with the factory cord? I have no issue wiring anything. I’ll put marks on airflow control that’s a good idea. Thank
Swapped SIDES. missed that word.

It’s going to have to come out the left side while looking at the front. What side is it on from the factory?
I think left but don’t hold me to it

Inasmuch as it's fun to gripe and commiserate about our wives, do remember a surprising number of members of this forum are the wives, present or former. Mind your tongues, boys!

But I do agree with @Slimdusty, this has been an entertaining one. Now... let the install begin!
Yeah someone suggested getting her a Hearth Account. Dollars to donuts she would have found this thread. Could see the sparks fly after that. 'What are you doing talking about me to complete Strangers?' I can see it now

I tell my wife about my wood forum friends all the time. She makes fun of me but appreciates the resource. I actually met someone from my town on here once!

Reactions: MRD1985 and Ashful
I actually met someone from my town on here once!
One day while away from home, I got a call from my house... from BKVP! He had decided to pop in while traveling "back east", as those west-coasters like to say. Closest I've come to meeting another hearth.com'er. ;lol

One day while away from home, I got a call from my house... from BKVP! He had decided to pop in while traveling "back east", as those west-coasters like to say. Closest I've come to meeting another hearth.com'er. ;lol
I was probably pretty close to your hood last month. Went to Philly Cricket Club to play some Padel. Very nice place.

I was probably pretty close to your hood last month. Went to Philly Cricket Club to play some Padel. Very nice place.
Cool! Yeah, been there once, very posh. I'm just a few miles north of that.

Reactions: bigealta
I tell my wife about my wood forum friends all the time. She makes fun of me but appreciates the resource. I actually met someone from my town on here once!

Nice. I’m not that far from you as I recall. Bout an hour or so?