Started boiler again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

muleman51

Feb 18, 2008
SE Minnesota
Started boiler again after 3 years, when I quit it was leaking three gallons plus a day. Its a Empire Elite, company long gone, was told don't try patching you won't get ahead of the leaks. I did some research and found Hurcules Boiler liquid I was pretty skeptical and have had the gallon sitting there for over a year. Well I decided to try the boiler again filled it up water dripping out of it put in the liquid like instructions, It worked leak stopped has leaked any more. Hope it lasts. I was very pleasantly surprised. Jim

Good job getting that leak looked after. You are probably just buying time, but with luck, you could manage to get through the season.

I am in the same boat. In early October, there was a leak from the bottom of my 12 year old home built boiler. I tried brazing it at first, but this created another leak. So I cleaned up the area well with a grinder, made up a contoured plate the same shape as the shell bottom, slathered the leak area and the plate with JB weld, and used a couple ratchet straps to secure the plate to the leaking area. But even if successful, which so far it is, the patch is only buying time. So using this winter to really think about boiler 2.0.

Update , major leak last night . Opened bottom door and water ran out. So I think my wood burning days are done as much as I like it there is no good payback for a 71 year old and a $15000 investment. If I was 10 or 15 years younger maybe? It was fun for 40 plus years.