Started my replenishment logging today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nick Mystic

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2013
Western North Carolina
We've had a really mild winter in western NC this year and so far I've burned less than three cords of wood and I heat exclusively with wood. We have over 11 acres of mostly oak, so I generally have enough trees come down from storms or just dead trees falling that I don't have to harvest live trees. The bad news is our property is mostly a bunch of ravines, so most of the time I have to haul my wood up and down the ravines to get it back home. This morning I started cutting up a nice size red oak that fell this past year. It took two nice size sour wood trees down with it, and those are always nice since they are usually of a size that doesn't require any splitting. I'll probably get about a cord and a half of wood from this harvest.

bad news is our property is mostly a bunch of ravines, so so most of the time I have to haul my wood up and down the ravines to get it back home...a nice size red oak that fell this past year. It took two nice size sour wood trees down with it
Sourwood, huh? I'm not familiar with it but it shows that we are on the edge of its range, so there may be some around.
I'm in the same boat here, a lot of ravines. And a lot of dead Red Oak to get. Before the quad, I would just pick around the edges of the woods, close to the house. I'd hook my unfortunate wife to the axle of the wheelbarrow with the tow strap wrapped around her, and we could get loads up shallow inclines pretty well. Sometime I would even push. ;) With the quad and trailer, I can get any wood, anywhere on the property. Sometimes I still have to hump rounds a short distance up out of a ravine to where the quad is, but not usually very far.
I'm feeding three other stoves besides ours, so the quad is pretty much a necessity to get that amount of wood. It's also handy for bringing wood from the stacks to the on-deck circle outside the door. This is a smaller load, but when hauling rounds up from the woods, I can heap it pretty tall, then secure it with a ratchet strap, front to back. I just need to go slow in case I hit a bump, or I'll lose the load. It would be nice to have a granny gear...
20200216_173756_Burst01.jpg

Last edited: