Starting a fire from cold and small creosote deposits on firebricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

myth83

Sep 20, 2019
Germany
Good day everybody,

Today I have yet another newbie question, it is about those small creosote buildups that occur when I start a fire from cold.

I am using dry wood(less than 14% moisture content), and operating a modern fireplace (Jotul I400 Harmony), that is connected to a modern brick chimney that has an insulated stainless steel liner etc..

It happens when starting a fire from cold, shortly after the kindling are burning strong and the first pair of splits from the top are started to catch fire, I can see a small swirl of fire and a very fine draw of smoke going to the side of the firebox and within 10-15 minutes, a small black deposit is to be seen.

That goes away later (probably burns away) and disappear once the firebox is up to temp.

However, I wonder if that is normal ? Or there is anything to learn about the causes and how to avoid and/or optimize this.

I have attached a photo.
8fd8611a6ffe1f320676489d961c0f8a.jpg

Any information or tips are as always much appreciated:)

Thank you!

Last edited:
I think your firebrick just gets some soot on it from the flame and the soot burns off. Enjoy the fire and don't over analyze it. (I know it can be hard to not examine every detail.)

Reactions: myth83 and SpaceBus
It's normal.
At what temperature does water boil ?
How long do you think it takes to boil the water out of your 14% moisture content charge of wood ?

Normal sooting . . .

Thank you all for your replies!

So it’s normal, good to know.

Yes, Right now I am “over analyzing”, true.. hopefully so I don’t make mistakes and turn them as time passes by into my “gold” standards ;-)

So I guess that it’s also normal when the fire is being let to burn down, and a bit of black is showing on the side firebrick of the firebox, it’s normal ?

Thank you all

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies!

So it’s normal, good to know.

Yes, Right now I am “over analyzing”, true.. hopefully so I don’t make mistakes and turn them as time passes by into my “gold” standards ;-)

So I guess that it’s also normal when the fire is being let to burn down, and a bit of black is showing on the side firebrick of the firebox, it’s normal ?

Thank you all

Yup, normal.

And keep asking questions . . . it's how we learn.

Well, you can also learn from your mistakes, but I am pretty sure you would rather not burn down your house and learn from that mistake, right? ;) :)