Starting a fire with kindling, paper and .......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Triacon

Oct 8, 2012
Egg cartons?
My wife likes to use them when starting a fire. I am not sure if it is ok to use them.
Some feedback would be nice.

I've used cardboard egg cartons and little cardboard box scraps for years. I've never seen any issues.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Most egg cartons & cardboard do not contain additives/toxins. They even use them for worm food & they both compost well. None of the plastic stuff though, & none of the cardboard in fruit boxes/dividers -- they have additives.

Reactions: Beldin
Really glad I took a look at these replies, I probably would of started my fires with harmful additives from cardboard. Thanks for your post!

:confused: :mad: Why not? There are lots of capable woman wood burners on this site.
I was just teasing! I like nothing more than when my lady friend lights my fires. So far, I've only showed her the bottom up lighting technique, but I think she'll be ready for the top down, soon.

She is proficient with the infrared thermometer, and knows exactly where to point the laser to see when to close the air down. Good thing, because I fall asleep often before it's cruisin'.

And, you should see how straight she stacks wood. Straight up and down. The stacks fall sometimes, but she helps get them stacked right back up.

No offense intended!

My wife can start a fire fine without me too.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Most egg cartons & cardboard do not contain additives/toxins. They even use them for worm food & they both compost well. None of the plastic stuff though, & none of the cardboard in fruit boxes/dividers -- they have additives.
I looked into that years ago. I found out that almost all newsprint is made with soybased ink nowadays. I had a two hundred doe rabbitry about a dozen years ago. I got into the wigglers business and needed a cheap carbon source for worm bedding. I don't see anything that could harm a new epa stove.

I was just teasing! I like nothing more than when my lady friend lights my fires. So far, I've only showed her the bottom up lighting technique, but I think she'll be ready for the top down, soon.

!

Are we still talking about wood stoves here?^^^^[emoji848]

My wife starts fires way more efficiently than I do too. And we always save our egg cartons for the wood stove. They work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You let your wife start the fires?

This is blastphomy. Woman starting fire? What's next? Woman hauling splits. Woman adding splits. Next thing you know you'll hear about woman cleaning stove. Is nothing sacred any more? Sounds like it's time for someone to man up. :). Manly

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Are we still talking about wood stoves here?^^^^[emoji848]

My wife starts fires way more efficiently than I do too. And we always save our egg cartons for the wood stove. They work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course, "Woody". What else would we be talking about?

Now, I'm gonna get back to reading all the fun posts about who's got the biggest chainsaw and the longest stacks of wood.

Reactions: saewoody
Status
Not open for further replies.