Starting my stock pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
So yesterday I picked up this seasons last haul. I had some dead fallen ash that was lucky for me off the ground for the last year. It fell in a wind storm back in our swamp and until this past week was not accessible. We used the tractor and pulled the tree out in chunks. I figure with the size of it I should have around 2 cords to split. I did a test sample on a couple pieces for moisture and she was around 30% which I know is high but she should drop pretty quick with where I stack it. The other cord I have to spilt still is around 23% so that should be good come winter. I'm really looking forward to this burning season and stocking up next year's wood during the winter months.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
where did you pick up this seasons
My parents own 200 acres about half wooded all hard maple and ash. No one in my family burns and we don't have it logged because ash isn't worth the paper it's written on anymore.

Is that a walleye in your avatar?:eek:

Sure is 11lbs. Its my personal best.

NICE! My biggest here is 27", not sure what it weighed. Hoping the new stocking efforts here get it back to where it was 20 years ago.

So yesterday I picked up this seasons last haul. I had some dead fallen ash that was lucky for me off the ground for the last year. It fell in a wind storm back in our swamp and until this past week was not accessible. We used the unscripted and pulled the tree out in chunks. I figure work the size of it I should have around 2 cords to split. I did a test sample on a couple pieces for moisture and she was around 30% which I know is high but she should drop pretty wick with where I stack it. The other cord I have to spill still is around 23% so that should be good come winter. I'm really looking forward tip this hearing season and stocking up next year's wood.

My moisture meter does not even read anything higher than 30%

My moisture meter does not even read anything higher than 30%
Mine goes up to 40 at its max. I can read hardwood, softwood, and drywall. I don't think it will read anything else.

NICE! My biggest here is 27", not sure what it weighed. Hoping the new stocking efforts here get it back to where it was 20 years ago.
Not sure where you're from but N.Y. has some good walleye lakes, my buddies have been killing them out on Lake Erie. This week they caught a 4 man limit of 12 fish and had more than 75lbs. of walleyes. It's been insane.

Reactions: BenTN