Starting new hearth build this Sat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankenCub

Feb 3, 2009
Southern Tier, NY
With the advise I relieved here I am starting this weekend. I do have one quick question. The area I am putting it there is linoleum flooring. Will I need to cut that out before I lay up the steel studding ? They will be set on edge for maximum airspace and I think I came up with a good way to vent it and not detract from the looks.

And of course...I will provide plenty of pics

Unless you need to, I would not remove the linoleum. If your hearth has the proper R value, it will not matter what it sits on. Plus, if you ever decide to remove your hearth, you will have missing linoleum that has to be replaced. My hearth sits on top of linoleum.

I second Nic36's recommendation and for the same reasons.

One thought is that you could put sheet(s) of hardibacker down as your "base". Then bed the steel studs in some thinset mortar troweled out on the hardi. If the Hardi is on the far side of your proper R-value construction, there should be no issues w/ its use.

Status
Not open for further replies.