Statistics on PV install cost ( $/watt) in different markets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm waiting for a couple more bids, but the best one right now from a company I trust (they did my first array) is 4.52/w. I googled a bit more and found a site that listed installers and "average" cost/watt of installs, but didn't give a timeframe for that average. On the bright side they act as a referrer and I was able to find a couple of additional candidate companies. I'll end up with 4 bids by time this phase is done and will then be able to move on to comparing them.

What size is your new array? I'm assuming that there is some economy of scale that would effect the price per watt. I can't decide whether to pursue more bids. It seems like I should before spending $20k+. But on the other hand it appears that the quote that I got is very competitive on a $/watt. I don't know if I've seen lower than $3.28/watt installed (pre-incentive).

Also, are you going micro-inverter or string inverter? String inverters appear to be cheaper and I think that I like that approach better if you aren't dealing with shading.

I'm getting quotes for micro-inverters. The most recent one that I have received is for:

14 SolarWorld 270w panels (3780kw dc total)
Enphase micro inverters

$15,565 pre-incentive cost or $4.11/w

This was the last of "round 1" quotes. I'm debating on whether to continue now or wait. I've divorced my hot water connection decision from the solar (going to go forward with it I believe) so perhaps better off waiting.

I don't think I understand your "round 1", vs. "round 2" quotes. Is round 2 where you go back and try to get them to bid against each other?

Is your array going to be roof mounted?

I don't think I understand your "round 1", vs. "round 2" quotes. Is round 2 where you go back and try to get them to bid against each other?

Is your array going to be roof mounted?

yes and yes :) I had 4 companies look at my roof and make recommendations etc. Gave them all the same parameters essentially: Maximize the capacity for space balanced with lowest cost/watt. Each came back with their quote/bid.

Next step is to ask each if they can do better then tell each the best cost/watt I've been quoted and see who is able to beat that. By that time I should be settled on the capacity and any brand/module restrictions I hop.

Open to suggestions on how to proceed to get best value.

Open to suggestions on how to proceed to get best value.

Well, you are ahead of me so I don't think that I have any great advice. But with an expensive purchase I would remember that value doesn't necessarily mean lowest cost. Saving $500 or $1k but having the installer cut corners might not be the best value. In my case I want to stick with a company who does everything in house with no subs. And I want a company that will be around in 5 years if I have any issues.

At this point I'm pretty confident with the company who gave me my quote. They are local and seem like they'll do a good job. They use all licensed electricians for the installation. I'd like to get one or two more just to make sure I am getting a good price, but only if I can find equally reputable companies.

It is amazing how many different companies are offering solar panels. The choices are quite overwhelming. I was interested in maximizing my output by going with 300 watt panels, but I was told that it wasn't going to be as cost effective as the 255 or 260 watt panels.

Well, you are ahead of me so I don't think that I have any great advice. But with an expensive purchase I would remember that value doesn't necessarily mean lowest cost. Saving $500 or $1k but having the installer cut corners might not be the best value. In my case I want to stick with a company who does everything in house with no subs. And I want a company that will be around in 5 years if I have any issues.

At this point I'm pretty confident with the company who gave me my quote. They are local and seem like they'll do a good job. They use all licensed electricians for the installation. I'd like to get one or two more just to make sure I am getting a good price, but only if I can find equally reputable companies.

It is amazing how many different companies are offering solar panels. The choices are quite overwhelming. I was interested in maximizing my output by going with 300 watt panels, but I was told that it wasn't going to be as cost effective as the 255 or 260 watt panels.

Agree - I only selected companies to bid that I feel comfortable doing the work. Differences in panels exist I'm sure but I'm not sure how much real difference there is between say CanadianSolar (which are actually made in China) and SolarWorld panels which I believe are made in USA. (Leaving patriotic discussions aside). That is part of why I desire to normalize the final bids on a given configuration.

What has surprised me here is how different the costs are from one state to the next - I can only assume that availability of rebates is impacting the top line costs... or is it really more expensive to install an array in MA than NH or NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.